Garlic is done

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I started digging garlic last night. About 80% of my garlic is just done. It was probably over done it has just been so dry. Some of the tops started falling over. It is sooooo hard to dig because it is also soooooo dry. They are meduim size heads so I was glad. I have lots of rounds and some of them are really descent size. I planted half the crop with bulbils so I could more seed and use more of my garlic.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow, I can't believe you are having such dry weather! Glad the garlic harvest went well for you, though. I love the idea of planting something in the fall- and having it ready early in the summer! I usually plant beans in the space I gain. Will you plant anything in that space? Sounds like you will have to water it if you do! Enjoy!

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
That sounds like a nice harvest! I planted garlic and shallots last October how do you know when it is ready? What is a bulbil I have not heard of them?

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Collector, have you seen scapes yet? Did you plant hardneck? Once I remove the scapes, I look for about 3/4 of the leaves to brown and then I harvest. Of course, you can harvest it anytime, if you just want some for dinner! No need to wait!

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hmmmmm. Harvesting my garlic is on my schedule for today. The soil is soooo dry out there that the garlic has really been struggling. It'll be interesting to see what's in store for me. I'll get out there later this evening after the sun and temperature does down a little.

cityfarmer

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
What are scales? I feel a bit ridiculous asking this question as I have already harvested my garlic since the tops were brown and falling over. I also noticed one seemed to be developing what looked to me to be a seed pod. They were hard neck garlic I believe.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
The seedpod that you mention is the scape. You should cut these off, so the plant puts its energy into the bulbs of garlic- and not into seed making.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Wow, its hard to believe its so dry where you are when we've been so wet. We seem to have been living in drought here for the last 10 years, then all of a sudden none stop rain!

I waiting a long time to get 1 dry week so I could get those garlic out here and be able to sun cure them for at least 1 day. It was a one shot deal, as we haven't had a week free of rain in months!

Glad you got your garlic out and it was a decent size for you. :D