Garlic varietys?

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The garlic I planted last October has long since been pulled and dryed, and is being eaten with relish..:p That garlic when it started to show signs of seeding, had your typical capes.

I noticed a new volunteer growth in the garden around the beggining of August, which is now going to flower. I suspected it was garlic, and after tasting the leaves, confirmed that it was. This variety, of which I have no idea of what it is or where it came from, has multi flower heads, with white flowers. Completely different than the usual capes. It has a robust growth of leaves, which are quite tender compared to my usuall garlic. When it is light enough outside I will take a picture, and would be curious to see if anybody knows what kind it is.

Any guess's without the picture, and just the description?:)

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ok here's the photo?

I'm guessing maybe Asian garlic, or garlic chives?? Like I said it was a volunteer, and I have no idea where or how the parent seed ended up in my garden.
garlic.jpg

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi there,

Yes, this is garlic chive. You will get a ton of seed from all those blooms. :clap

I like to let the bloom heads dry because they make great dried arrangement additions.

Ron

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So I gather that you don't eat the bulbs, rather harvest the greens.

Should I dig up the bulbs after it withers, to divide and replant, or just leave it to grow again next year, or do you musually start them from seed each year.

Do you suggest cutting the seed heads now, to extend the leaf growth?

This is a new one for me. Some bird must have left a seed behind to grow. Nice addition though. I'll try some greens in a tuna sandwhich.:p

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
good choice with a tuna sandwich

I cut them to use the ..and devide them to spread them out .. they are pretty hardy just like regular chives

they are good in all kinds of dishes where you would use chives try garlic chives...potato salad being a biggie :)

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I see it calls for Jeon flour for that recipe. I've never even heard of it before, Is there another name for it?

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
bills said:
Ok here's the photo?

I'm guessing maybe Asian garlic, or garlic chives?? Like I said it was a volunteer, and I have no idea where or how the parent seed ended up in my garden.
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m141/12GAGuy/garlic.jpg
I have a hanging basket of these. I know them as Garlic Chives.

Mine just went through a flower cycle. I saved as many seeds as possible. The seed I was not able to collect dispersed itself along my foundation. I would have to think this would be great for discouraging
insects from harboring to close to the house.

Not to mention I love these for grilling! A few Fig leaves, some Rosemary and Chives on the grill add Meat and cover ! Smoke that draws people from far and wide!

I hope it's not to late to save seeds for you!

Good luck.

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
bills said:
I see it calls for Jeon flour for that recipe. I've never even heard of it before, Is there another name for it?
Jeon flour is the mix for making the pancakes you can go to a Korean market if you have one and just ask for it or you can just use regular flour

I use King Arthur half and half with the Jeon flour

it is white wheat flour either way I know the Canadian flour is what my friend who happens to be Korean likes best for this

anyway use regular flour to start unless you have a Korean market

Latest posts