Garlic

greenmulberry

Sprout
Reaction score
I put some garlic in a few weeks ago. It was rather late for my zone, but most folks I know say as long as you can dig the ground, you are ok.

I didn't have time to buy any special garlic for seeding, but I picked up a few organic bulbs grown on a farm near here, so I suppose they do well in my climate!

Smitty's Farm

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Chicken_Boy said:
country freedom said:
Chicken_Boy said:
I am currently growing garlic right now.
But I plant mine different then every body else.
How do you plant your garlic? I thought there was just one way.
I get a big bowl of water and put the garlic in there till they start rooting. Then I plant them. I think its much faster. :D
Cool! I'll have to give it a try. I might be able to plant some this spring, depending on the weather, but they do better if we plant them in the fall in our area. Darn the chickens! I just couldn't stop playing with them to do a fall garden. Oh well, they are worth it.

Smitty's Farm

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Chicken_Boy said:
Garlic is my chicken's favorite garden toy but for some reason they don't eat it :hu
Maybe it's a good thing that they won't eat it, b/c it is said that it might taint the taste of their eggs. We cook with a lot of garlic and sometimes the chickens get a few left overs that were cooked with garlic, but I didn't really taste a diff in egg quality.

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I don't do garlic now, but when I was little we did.

Basically on year one, we plant garlic clove starters. Grow them all year and pick the weak ones to eat. Then the following year, let them all grow and go to seed. Collect the seed and plant those in the spring, harvest all garlic cloves. Repeat.

sparks

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Greetings All.
This is great having this forum. I planted 3 kinds of garlic. Another trick is in the winter if your garlic you use for cooking starts to sprout. Just separate them and plunck them in a pot of soil (close together) water and set in a sunny spot. Soon you`ll get some nice green tops( Use like onion tops.) and you`ll have fresh greens for salads and such. Nice garlic flavor!;)

Rio_Lindo_AZ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
silkiechicken said:
I don't do garlic now, but when I was little we did.

Basically on year one, we plant garlic clove starters. Grow them all year and pick the weak ones to eat. Then the following year, let them all grow and go to seed. Collect the seed and plant those in the spring, harvest all garlic cloves. Repeat.
thats exactly what we did. But with herbs. :D

Latest posts