Garlic

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Surprisingly, probably NOT too old to grow. Stick them in soil and keep it moist. This summer I grew some very old garlic last year and it all sprouted. Then, I forgot about them...:hide
I didn't get my garlic in the ground this year, so I am going to start them soon and grow them in my 2nd story east and south windows. You may want to start yours indoors, too. Not really enough time to grow good roots for the winter, and before the snow flies.
DD's are giving me back the two rolling storage shelving.
t's like this, 78 inches high, and there are 2 of them.
I got them on sale 3 years ago, $35.00/each
DD's just built shelving on the landing going to their basement and don't need 2 of them anymore.
They are keeping the 3rd one bc it fits nicely in their bathroom and is excellent towel storage.

Last edited:

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've been too busy with canning & seed saving to plant my garlic. And had other issues to deal with (like finding a replacement for my totaled car - which I found today :celebrate).

It's going to be warm for quite awhile, so still plenty of time to get the garlic in; I just need to wait for a dry spell. Looking at the extended forecast, it may be awhile. :( @ducks4you , there should be plenty of time to put yours in the ground too.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
I went to buy garlic to plant and it was all bought up but a few left that are really dried. They are purple garlic, kind of brown and hard. Are they too old to plant?
That the garlic you described is picked over does not inspire confidence. Check the roots for signs of mold or rot, and squeeze the bulb to see if it is solid. Then open the bulb & peel one of the cloves; if the clove is solid, or you can see a green shoot emerging, the garlic is probably OK to plant. If it fails any of these tests, or doesn't smell right, look for better stock. Garlic stock is hard to find this late, most companies are sold out by now. Worst case scenario, if you can't find any elsewhere, send me a PM. I'll probably be breaking my garlic open this coming weekend.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I went to buy garlic to plant and it was all bought up but a few left that are really dried. They are purple garlic, kind of brown and hard. Are they too old to plant?

if the bottom of the cloves (the base where the roots grow out) is still ok when you pull the bulb apart then there is a chance that any bit of clove that you plant will grow. it may not do that great though if it is too small or significantly going bad. still it may give you a start for a crop in the 2nd year.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
where you are at @ducks4you i see no reason not to get the garlic planted out for the winter. there's plenty of time yet and whatever doesn't happen in the fall can happen in the spring. i've planted as late as the day before the snows came. it went fine.
You would KNOW!!! :hugs

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
You would KNOW!!! :hugs

the hardy stuff will be fine. wimpy garlic varieties may not do as well. i'm always rather biased by what i grow here (a hardneck variety that is well acclimated). i put 'em in the ground and mostly don't have to do much other than weed and water them until they get harvested.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
They are hardneck and I usually do plant in Oct. and once I planted in November and I had to plant in the box I am using this time because the garden was froze. We have pretty good weather right now, so the weather is no problem. I went ahead and planted them. I was not going to plant any but DD wanted to and I told her about all this garlic the coop usually has. She had bought some purple for eating and I think it is okay to plant some of that, but she has a very little space she is talking about and I do not want to put in the garden because I am not sure where it will be out of the way. I am thinking of having a big truckload of manure delivered and she can start hauling to her house what she needs. Thank you for all the suggestions!

Latest posts