Garlic

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
DW is in charge of garlic and she planted hers last week. It's a new location and after I buried compostables she gave the ground a couple of weeks to settle.

This morning, she is again roasting garlic (she likes it very well done ) before putting it in the blender with the toasted cherry tomatoes etc. for salsa. She had the kitchen exhaust fan on but I came in to open a window ~ kof kof ~ 37°f (3°C) outdoors and I'm trying to get some fresh air 🌬️ in the house!

Steve,  kof

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
DW is in charge of garlic and she planted hers last week. It's a new location and after I buried compostables she gave the ground a couple of weeks to settle.

This morning, she is again roasting garlic (she likes it very well done ) before putting it in the blender with the toasted cherry tomatoes etc. for salsa. She had the kitchen exhaust fan on but I came in to open a window ~ kof kof ~ 37°f (3°C) outdoors and I'm trying to get some fresh air 🌬️ in the house!

Steve,  kof

does she ever fry it?

the other day when we did the pork loin in the crockpot we only put in about ten cloves but you sure could smell it cooking. even when i was out back digging for a while i could smell it. making me hongry...

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
With this being probably the last dry(ish) day we'll see in awhile - and warm enough for a long sleeve shirt - I finally got the garlic planted today. This was the first time I've ever planted without moving the box, so I mixed in 6 bags of manure & 6 bags of topsoil.

The same 8 varieties as last year:
Carpati (artichoke)
Estonian Red (marbled purple stripe)
Georgian Fire (porcelain)
* German White (porcelain)
* Krasnodar Red (marbled purple stripe)
* Ron's Single Center (artichoke)
* Special Idaho (rocambole)
Vic's (rocambole)

25 cloves each of those marked (*), 15 cloves each of the rest - 160 cloves total.
20231104_130514.jpg

2023 cloves, before planting. Some of those remaining after planting will be set aside for the Spring planting experiment; the rest will be dehydrated.

20231104_165338.jpg
2023-2024 garlic bed

Deer broke through the wires just outside the bed to feast on the still-green Zebrina mallow - the first time they've gotten into the garden all year. I hope they don't jump in again at the same place & trample the bed.

P.S. I came down with a cold after this... guess the wind was pitching, and I was catching. :(

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
YEEESSSSS! I have a small planter which I grew green garlic in late summer. Can't wait to harvest them and pan-fry them with sliced cured pork belly!

i knew from your likely cooking that you knew about green garlic and probably use it but a lot of people in the USoA do not think of that at all so i've kinda made it my mission to keep mentioning it because it is really good but also just because i like gardens and it's a good use of all those scapes or small cloves if you don't eat them or want to do anything else with them.

Last edited:

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
and it's a good use of all those scapes or small cloves if you don't eat them or want to do anything else with them.
Big cloves and small cloves all look the same once dehydrated & ground. I don't even bother peeling small cloves, just split & dehydrate. Once dry, the skins separate when vigorously whisked or shaken, and can be winnowed away. Of course, the best solution is to grow garlic that has few small cloves.

I gave all of the scapes this year to DD, who makes pesto with them.

Latest posts