G'day from Australia

DebLewis

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Welcome from north Idaho DebLewis! Do you have native animals that you have to fence out of your garden area?
We love garden pictures!
Hi @thistlebloom ... yes a number of native animals need to be kept off the veggie patch ... we have many wombat holes ... they don't respect fences at all, just dig straight under. Kangaroos jump straight over fences (unless they are really high (> 5 feet)). Cockatoos, and many other birds, are more than happy to feast on the fruit trees ... indeed Cockatoos took my crop of hazelnuts last year. And apparently most of my neighbours this year lost their fruit due to the relocation of large numbers of bats - fortunately our enclosure has a roof as well as the sides (picture tennis court with a mesh top).
So I am happy to try to feed all of these lovely native visitors, but I would like to have some of the veggies for myself too
We also have feral deer ... see the pic (pics of all the other animals are on my other computer)
Best regards
Deb

Attachments

• 20170612_144706.jpg
    20170612_144706.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 196

DebLewis

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Welcome from Washington state. What are you currently growing?
It's winter here, so mostly brassica ... still a few tomatoes and raspberries ... onions and garlic in but not ready.
I have an awesome fruit orchard: fig, mulberry, cherry, nectarine, plum, apricot, peach, nashi pear, pear, apple, pomegranate. Summer was very enjoyable!
My alpaca have devastated my citrus (which are not enclosed, but we have finally fenced them off): lemons, lime, grapefruit, mandarin, blood orange, finger lime.
I have saffron crocus, and many strawberry plants (which are not currently fruiting)
I have several plants I brought with me, from a monstera deliciosa, which I haven't yet planted on. That's my favourite fruit!
I have several flushes of carrot seeds planted, with mixed success. I had a few very odd looking carrots and was advised that they must have been fed too much, so am trying to grow them in less rich conditions.
I also have a few chilli plants.
I'm thinking I've forgotten some.
In summary, I am in awe of my predecessor at this farm (you can google us ... Erehwon Orchards, Towamba ... Erehwon = nowhere backwards)
:)
Best regards
Deb

DebLewis

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks
Welcome from northeast Texas in the deep Piney Woods! There are several of us practicing the Back to Eden method. I am on my second year of BTE from a garden 3 years old. My soil is sand, like beach sand, the climate is scorching hot summers, mild winters with the occasional dip into the low 20's F sometimes in the mid teens. The wood chips are helping conserve moisture, add humus and enrich the soil. We got over 70 loads of wood chips from contractor crews clearing electric power line right of way.

@Beekissed has a good thread on BTE and is on her 3rd year.

https://www.theeasygarden.com/threads/back-to-eden-gardening.16555/

Welcome, can't wait to hear more about your garden. Post pictures! We love lots of pictures!
Thanks for the tip ... pictures on my other computer ... will definitely post some in due course.

Regards

Deb

DebLewis

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
It's a J
Hi, Welcome from Californian and Nevada~you've a lot going there, sounds like~what make tractor?

Nice having you come by, let us hear from you, ta

Richard
It's a John Deere Tractor. That's the only toy I haven't played with yet. Scag ride on mower, Husqvarna chain saws.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
WOW @DebLewis it sounds like a wonderful place you have. I am from the east side of Iowa U.S.A.(where the Mississippi River runs east to west! ) DH and I have had Australia on the top of our bucket list for many years. It is the ONLY foreign country we would like to visit. I find your outback so interesting and the wildlife incredible. I am looking forward to seeing photos from your fascinating part of the world! :caf

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi @thistlebloom ... yes a number of native animals need to be kept off the veggie patch ... we have many wombat holes ... they don't respect fences at all, just dig straight under. Kangaroos jump straight over fences (unless they are really high (> 5 feet)). Cockatoos, and many other birds, are more than happy to feast on the fruit trees ... indeed Cockatoos took my crop of hazelnuts last year. And apparently most of my neighbours this year lost their fruit due to the relocation of large numbers of bats - fortunately our enclosure has a roof as well as the sides (picture tennis court with a mesh top).
So I am happy to try to feed all of these lovely native visitors, but I would like to have some of the veggies for myself too
We also have feral deer ... see the pic (pics of all the other animals are on my other computer)
Best regards
Deb

Oh my...that sounds like challenging garden conditions! Deer I am familiar with, but the rest are probably more difficult to deal with. Your place sounds amazing and beautiful, love the name!

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
Are you at or in Imlays Park or there about? Sure looking forward to when you've time for pictures.

We had a property by Laidley Shire, between Brisbane and Toowoomba our youngest daughter was born there, the girls from grade 1 have been in Brisbane School of Distance & Charter Towers.

Latest posts