Gettin' Rid of Stuff~the fine art of downsizing

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
I drove in slob-mobiles until I got my dream car. Now it is washed every week, as well as detailed on the inside. It is never dirty. I do it myself most weeks, but lately my son has been helping me. Too bad you guys don't live near us. He works for pennies (literally) and does a really good job. :D

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
My house has the "kept" items from two previously homeowners moving in together, then having 3 parents pass away. I still have the "packet" of stuff from the funeral home when Dad passed. I have Mom's motorized wheelchair, and numerous walkers. I have canning jars, art supplies and motorcycle parts, darkroom equipment and bins of fabric. Tools out the wazoo, gardening stuff galore. Clothes from the last century.
I am at the point that anything I throw away, I need next week.
Gotta start somewhere. I think I'll go throw out a pair of holey socks. No, wait! They make great polishing cloths. o_O

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I live with a clean freak also, so even if I were inclined to let things go, she would never allow it.

NY, looks like a man's car, for sure...tires, cig butts, etc. :lol:

I usually keep cars I really like cleaner than those I had to buy on the fly and didn't especially care for, but still never got to that level...guess it's a girl thing. I've also discovered that mechanics usually treat your car better and you get better service if you have a clean, well kept car as opposed to a trash can on wheels.

My boy uses the same mechanic as I do and gets completely different results, service, and even cordiality than do I. He complains to me about that, which tickles me...usually it's a single woman that's getting that kind of result, so it's kind of cool to have the shoe on the other foot....but I've concluded it's because he shows he doesn't really care about his car, so those working on it don't care about it either. At least, that's my take on it.... :D

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Beekissed, my husband swears that a clean car runs better. It must be true since we rarely have car trouble even from some of our old cars that have 200,000 plus miles.

Mary

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Having a far in the future plan to move across country, has got me started on cleaning out. I am surprised to say, that I am really enjoying the feeling of being more organized. I said "goodbye" to a lot of my gardening stuff this year. Things that I had been holding on to for years and years- and never used. Went through cupboards and closets. Still a lot to go through but glad to have some of it done. Congrats to all of you who are simplifying! Not easy, but worth it in the end!

Latest posts