Giant Marconi Peppers

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
jackb said:
. . . The pepper in the photo was grown in my soil garden . . .
Sure, throw soil in my face . . . :/

I can get them to turn red by picking Giant Marconi at the very last minute and hanging them in the kitchen. But, that shortens the season of use and limits production, as Jack says.

jackb said:
. . . I also grow Corno Di Toro peppers that are very similar . . .
Nope. Extremely productive but the skin was a little tuff and walls a little thin, by comparison in the 1 season that I grew them. I have standards . . . not high, but they are my standards . . . .

. . . Steve :rolleyes:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was able to harvest several giant Marconi peppers, Friday! (I'd post a picture but it would just serve to embarrass me . . . Imagine some about 61.0047% the size of Jack's :rolleyes:).

The Fushimi peppers have been picked a couple of times. They are supposed to be small and skinny . . . However, they aren't supposed to be hot! I know that this is an old issue but I am convinced that the seeds of the sweets have to be removed before eating sometimes if you are growing sweet and hot peppers together! It wasn't a problem last year and I'm disappointed that I have to do it now to enjoy a nice serving of what-are-supposed-to-be sweet peppers.

The super chili and garden salsa are growing right beside the fushimi and the jalapeo are on the other side. Nothing like setting myself for failure :/. I blame the super chili for jumping the fence.

The Marconi are fine but they actually seem to be ahead on the blooming schedule altho' it takes them every bit as long to mature. And, they are hanging out with the Anaheims. That might be a fairly tame crossing if it was to happen anyway.

I am not much of a pepper seedsaver. I did that once with some banana peppers and the results were essentially, disastrous!!

It is wonderful to be back to harvesting peppers and the sweets are playing a more important role in my diet as the years role by . . .

Steve :)

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm having the opposite problem with my Jalapenos and Thai peppers, both supposed to be hot but this year they aren't. The seeds are hot but the pod isn't. That will work with my Thais since I flake them and use the seeds and pods together but a lot of recipes (like poppers) call for removing the seeds from jalapenos and there just isn't any heat left when I do that. We had a very cool Summer and now an even cooler Fall so maybe that's the problem.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The standard jalapeno M I have are quite a ways from being ready to pick here. I could get a few Thai hots but they aren't red.

Seems that I recall that weather is an important factor in pepper heat.

Really, I like the jalapeno flavor cool, hot and in between. I just need to have some idea before I start to eat them if they are hot :p. Mostly, just easy to please, I guess.

Steve

Latest posts