GIANT PUNKIN CONTEST 2013 all cucurbitaceae!

Cats Critters and Garden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm probably in with gourds, pumpkins, watermelon (I suck at growing watermelon but I keep trying) and maybe squash. But we will see what I get in.

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I planted pumpkin for the first time in my life. it's almost ready to flower - I know it will win the contest ;) (i'm not supposed to know the variety am I? :p )
I've got quite a few volunteer winter squash. never done those before either.

desertlady

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Heres "Max"
8871_100_3399.jpg

8871_100_3400.jpg

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
So... how does one 'enter' the contest?
Will there be any catagories for things like "ugly cucurbitaceae", "weird cucurbitaceae", "perfect twin cucurbitaceaes", etc? :p

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Cane you just say "I'm in" and that's it. A deadline is set to measure them by and you go from there. People post pics its all in good fun. Count me in I've got a few going this year. I always LOVE growing pumpkins something about seeing them get bigger and bigger in the garden is fun and its even more fun to go pick them from our "pumpkin patch" and carve them up. Its such a special feeling when the kids smile and laugh over carving them knowing I had a part in making that happen for them.

I've got a handful of Jack-o-lanterns and a few that are supposed to get around 150lbs. Biggest I had was by estimate around 90lbs when the deer got to it. Stomped a hole in it and that was that. It was cruising though before they got to it though.

Monty you some kind of super pumpkin grower? Or you have a line on the seeds that get so big you need a flat bed trailer with a Big Mack truck to get it out of the garden? My goal is to grow one I have to carve with a chain saw....one of these years.

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've grown a few big ones in my time Jared...

I have a lot more pics, but you get the idea. I used to be a competition grower. I gave it up because it took the fun out of gardening. It became more of an obsession than a hobby. It was more like work, than fun. It just wouldn't be fair for me to join this contest. I've culled pumpkins at 300 pounds just because they didn't look right.

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Only the bright orange ones come with a prise, Thistle. That's where I found all of my daughters.

Ever wonder how you load a pumpkin into a truck?

Latest posts