Global Cooling

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I do love a tinfoil hat. It catches the sun like jewelry. Zerohedge had this article about a predicted chill...

So here is a graph of sunspot activity, and the near term prediction of a mini ice age. There was one mini ice age prior that has been written about extensively also depicted on the graph. The text toward the end of the article caught my eye.

GSM-and-Sunspots.png

"Zharkova’s models have run at a 97% accuracy and now suggest a Super Grand Solar Minimum is on the cards beginning 2020.

Grand Solar Minimums are prolonged periods of reduced solar activity, and in the past have gone hand-in-hand with times of global cooling.

The last time we had a GSM (the Maunder Minimum) only two magnetic fields of the sun went out of phase.

This time, all four magnetic fields are going out of phase."

Soo.. my question is about those phases. What does that mean?

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
I do love a tinfoil hat. It catches the sun like jewelry. Zerohedge had this article about a predicted chill...

So here is a graph of sunspot activity, and the near term prediction of a mini ice age. There was one mini ice age prior that has been written about extensively also depicted on the graph. The text toward the end of the article caught my eye.

View attachment 33680

"Zharkova’s models have run at a 97% accuracy and now suggest a Super Grand Solar Minimum is on the cards beginning 2020.

Grand Solar Minimums are prolonged periods of reduced solar activity, and in the past have gone hand-in-hand with times of global cooling.

The last time we had a GSM (the Maunder Minimum) only two magnetic fields of the sun went out of phase.

View attachment 33680

Al Gore will have a kaniption fit at the global warming convention ... :rant
The sun has been going through various phases of warming then cooling or millions of years and will continue to do so ..... :th :caf

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is a theory. The correlation is pretty good but is it really a coincidence, a cause, or maybe one of the different things that influences this? It's often hard to tell. There are other theories out there about what causes climate change. My guess is that it is not just one thing but a combination of many things. But that is a guess. I don't know.

I'm convinced the climate is changing. Part of that is what is happening where I am and part is globe-wide. I'm not talking about this year compared to last year, it is over a long period of time. Closer to centuries than decades though there are short-term trends. One cold month doesn't mean the globe is getting cooler over the next decade any more than one hot month means it is warming.

To me the question is not if the climate is changing, the question is how much and in what way is mankind's activities affecting it. How much do the current approximately 7.7 billion humans alive today affect the climate? You get all kinds of theories about that too, not just on sunspots. In my opinion, if you think what you are doing is having a negative effect, change it. If you think it is having a positive effect, keep doing it. If you think it doesn't matter, don't worry about it, you won't do anything anyway.

Bay, your joke about cow farts brings up something that to me is actually a serious topic. At least I hope that's a joke or you might be real mad at me but I don't think this describes you. The idea that because you can't solve everything you don't even try. I see that a lot as an excuse. I can't solve world hunger so I won't try to help one hungry person. Doing this wont stop every school shooting so I won't try something that might stop one. On and on and on. Excuses to do nothing. I kind of roll my eyes whenever I hear someone say we have to make sure this never happens again. To me that is a ridiculous goal, bound to fail as much as not doing anything. I think the goal should be to stop it from happening once again or at least try to minimize the effects. To me all or none makes as much sense as saying every seed I plant won't come up so I won't bother planting any. You do what you can on things that matter to you. Rant over.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
It was a smart Alec remark. But I will still chow on a steak! I’m having leg of lamb cut into round steak and tenderized. CHICKEN FRIED STEAK Y’AL!!! Baa Baa Baa!!

Yup, we garden and raise as much of our food as we can, share with friends, family and neighbors. It won’t stop world hunger, but if more people raised a garden it would make more of a difference. Better and more healthy food means healthier people. Getting off their backside and getting some exercise wouldn’t hurt them either. LOL my rant is over!

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yup, we garden and raise as much of our food as we can, share with friends, family and neighbors. It won’t stop world hunger, but if more people raised a garden it would make more of a difference. Better and more healthy food means healthier people. Getting off their backside and getting some exercise wouldn’t hurt them either. LOL my rant is over!
I agree wholeheartedly. For gardeners, "plant a row for the hungry" is a good philosophy, provided that one has the extra time & space available.

As for solar activity (or lack thereof)... I subscribe to a newsletter from SpaceWeather.com. They send me emails about astronomical happenings, such as meteor showers, aurora alerts, and solar weather. They have been remarking about the extremely low incidence of sunspots for quite awhile; according to them, the summer of 2019 had the lowest number of sunspots in a century. Lower solar activity also translates into lower solar wind. The solar wind helps to deflect cosmic rays; so according to other SpaceWeather emails, there has been a corresponding increase in cosmic ray penetration of the solar system. High cosmic ray measurements have recently been recorded in high-altitude aircraft.

There is considerable debate about whether the current level of solar activity is a short-term phenomenon, or a beginning of a long-term trend.

The earth has experienced several ice ages in its history, and will most likely undergo several more in the future. The more recent of those ice ages all caused mass extinctions. We have the good fortune to be living in one of the warm inter-glacial periods of the most recent ice age at present, for which we should be grateful. The climate has always been changing & will continue to do so with or without our help. To the extent that anything we do might stave off the next glacial period - which is questionable IMO - that would seem to be a good thing. I am skeptical of scaremongers regardless of which doomsday du jour they might be peddling.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Zeedman does your newsletter address chem trails and what is the consensus on them? Helpful or destructive?
Don't recall seeing anything there about chem trails. Some of their satellite photos have been used on sites which discuss chem trails / climate engineering, but SpaceWeather.com has different explanations for the cloud formations mentioned. Personally, I don't have an opinion one way or the other... but the few articles I've read seem to be tall on assumption, and short on science.

Latest posts