Garden Master
Reaction score
A cookie story, Starring Fen D Furball I
produced by Da Hooman

#1 “u hab cookee!”

#2 “u gib!”

3# “omagerd! S’ma fabrite!!”
View attachment 63395
Reminds me of back when I was a kid. I was over at another kid's house a little bit away on a playdate, and their mom had left us some leftover cookies from some function she had been to. I took one that was something round and chocolatey, and took a bit, finding I liked it quite a lot. I then made the mistake of moving my hand with the rest of the cookie down for a second while I was saying something, whereupon Thompson, their large black dog (probably a Labrador, but I was too young to know dog breeds.) sneaks in behind me and grabs the rest of the cookie right out of my hand and scarfs it down!

In our house were refer to this as the first "THOMPSON!" incident. My parents told me the second when, during a party at that house, he managed to get is front up onto the table and eat an ENTIRE bowl of artichoke dip before anyone has actually taken any (they came in and found the bowl licked clean.)

(Note: I actually felt guilty in retrospect for my part of the story, until my parents pointed out Thompson lived for years after it, so the chocolate didn't poison him.)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score

A little difficult to read with all the ads flashing about. Smithsonian. Click off the ads and the article gives you a look at a once valued dog, now gone.

Another extinct "critter" told about this month is "Giganto." Here's a LINK. No, not a Missing Link — Giganto was probably more closely related to orangutans. New ideas about why he is not still around based largely on his teeth. Interesting evidence of his interest in a fruit diet but times and climate changed and he had to rely on other foods. Couldn't.

digitS'

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've have read that, in fact, there are now basically NO dogs with New World ancestry left (apart from maybe the Chihuahua, which they think might have a trace). Much as European human diseases decimated the Native Americans, European canine diseases decimated their dogs, to a MUCH greater level.

Ironically, the only New World Dog DNA still around is in some sort of contagious tumor disease dogs can get

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Any serious discussion of Indigenous American cultural loss should make note of the effects of diseases brought by Europeans. link

The Smithsonian article fails in that regard.

With 80-90 percent loss of human population in a single epidemic, the culture is hugely damaged. It was becoming a bit more clear in the Pacific Northwest in the 1800's and written about. Elsewhere, epidemics had been going on for centuries.

Last edited:

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Any serious discussion of Indigenous American cultural loss should make note of the effects of diseases brought by Europeans. link

The Smithsonian article fails in that regard.

With 80-90 percent loss of human population in a single epidemic, the culture is hugely damaged. It was becoming a bit more clear in the Pacific Northwest in the 1800's and written about. Elsewhere, epidemics had been going on for centuries.
Just on the one disease, measles. People born before 1966 here , were not required to have the vaccine because they had a natural immunity.

I had to look that information up. Because as a child children with chicken pox or measles were not kept apart from healthy children... In fact I remember going too stay with my next neighbours two children who had chicken pox for a overnight, so as too catch it for my immune system. I had both before I was 10 years old.

My mother was a weird and wonderful lady, because that worked for me.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
On the subject of virals now.
I found this guys take very interesting. He's not always accurate but he knows a lot more than me .

Latest posts