Goin' to the Dogs!

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score

A little difficult to read with all the ads flashing about. Smithsonian. Click off the ads and the article gives you a look at a once valued dog, now gone.

Another extinct "critter" told about this month is "Giganto." Here's a LINK. No, not a Missing Link — Giganto was probably more closely related to orangutans. New ideas about why he is not still around based largely on his teeth. Interesting evidence of his interest in a fruit diet but times and climate changed and he had to rely on other foods. Couldn't.

digitS'
RIP extinct woolly dog, just one example of the harm we caused to all indigenous beings.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just on the one disease, measles. People born before 1966 here , were not required to have the vaccine because they had a natural immunity.

I had to look that information up. Because as a child children with chicken pox or measles were not kept apart from healthy children... In fact I remember going too stay with my next neighbours two children who had chicken pox for a overnight, so as too catch it for my immune system. I had both before I was 10 years old.

My mother was a weird and wonderful lady, because that worked for me.
I had chicken pox as well (not measles, I was inoculated for that.)

We very well might STILL do that, if someone hadn't noticed that there was a connection between chicken pox now and shingles later.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I had chicken pox as well (not measles, I was inoculated for that.)

We very well might STILL do that, if someone hadn't noticed that there was a connection between chicken pox now and shingles later.
I was only saying yesterday to an acquaintance. Up until this past year I've only met one person that has had shingles.

Now I'm hearing more of these cases. My neighbour was shocked too find that they had shingles for the first time. It's really peculiar.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
RIP extinct woolly dog, just one example of the harm we caused to all indigenous beings.
Being a huge lover of animals I find this really upsetting. Plus A heck of a lot of our beautiful creatures are disappearing by the day and there is nothing we can do to prevent this.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Pulsegleaner points out in the Seedsaver thread how humans have interceded in the survival of some plant species that were considered useful. Dogs have certainly proven themselves useful but I have wondered if the "village dogs" are often little more than compatible . Certainly, that quality enhanced by others, makes them worthwhile companions on an evolutionary journey :). Humans can do better respecting All Llfe on Earth.

Screenshot_20240126_124128_Chrome.jpg

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Being a lifelong believer on the adopt don't shop, this guy that's posting these funny videos has certainly grown on me since watching this...

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don’t adopt for my needs. For a pet, yes, but for working dogs, no. Even the Livestock Guardian rescue sites are insanely stupid, wanting them to be house dogs. Not even a barn is good enough for some of those sites. Contracts, promise not to treat them like what they have been bred for for thousands of years, no thank you. I want a dog from working stock with known parentage.

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I don’t adopt for my needs. For a pet, yes, but for working dogs, no. Even the Livestock Guardian rescue sites are insanely stupid, wanting them to be house dogs. Not even a barn is good enough for some of those sites. Contracts, promise not to treat them like what they have been bred for for thousands of years, no thank you. I want a dog from working stock with known parentage.
Working dogs are happiest when working, it's true. The job they were bred to do is ingrained in their DNA.

Latest posts