Gonna start one here, so this forum don't look empty

MeanQueenNadine

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Gotta admit not a big rose fan. With that said I do have more then 1/2 a dozen. They are underneath windows on the East, West & South side of the house. GREAT deterrent to someone wanting to break in that way. Not my idea, just liked it. Saw it on Donahue (many, many moons ago), he had a guest that was a professional thieve & he said that & any dog (loose in the house) would persuade him to move on to greener/easier pastures.

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Shallots said:
I loved Queen Elizabeth and an apricot rose called "Just Joey". I can't get them to survive the winters in my raised bed in Zone 7. Thought I did everything right...
That's strange, Shallots, Queen Elizabeth is very hardy around here. Where are you in Zone 7, down Westport way? It should be rock hardy for you!

Just Joey is a lovely plant, but a hybrid tea, so it's going to be a bit tempermental. My mother had one and lost it :(

Raised beds can be a bit of a problem as far as hardiness goes. How large of a bed is it, and how far are these plants from the 'sides'?

Buff Shallots

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Reinbeau, I know I wasn't faithful about putting saltmarsh hay around the bases after the ground froze. Could that have been it? I know, they should do fine here.

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Shallots said:
Reinbeau, I know I wasn't faithful about putting saltmarsh hay around the bases after the ground froze. Could that have been it? I know, they should do fine here.
I pile soil at the base of the plants, I try to mound it six to eight inches high. If your roses are grafted then you have to protect the bud union. I am getting rid of all of my grafted roses and going to own root only, mainly due to hardiness.

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Double Delight, my absolute favorite.

My grandmother grew them and they remind me so much of her.

I have 3 bushes one of which is one that she gave to me.

Latest posts