Good Ketchup Recipe

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't !

But ... I have a good rhubarb barbecue sauce recipe using ketchup ;). If'n you have some rhubarb and needing some bbq sauce.

Catchup? I thought that there was some magical techniques employed to making ketchup? Something mere mortals are generally incapable of.

:confused: Steve

Prairie Rose

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
If you find one, please share! I have made the one in the blue ball canning book and my family hated it as ketchup...but loved it as bbq sauce.

Edit: Found a whole chapter on catsup in my 1965 canning book. It has everything from tomato ketchup to walnut ketchup. If you are interested, I can send the recipes on!

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
If you find one, please share! I have made the one in the blue ball canning book and my family hated it as ketchup...but loved it as bbq sauce.

Edit: Found a whole chapter on catsup in my 1965 canning book. It has everything from tomato ketchup to walnut ketchup. If you are interested, I can send the recipes on!
Please! I would like to know what is in ketchup generally, though I promise to never make any myself.

Prairie Rose

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Recipes from: The Complete Book of Pickles and Relishes, by Leonard Levinson

Tomato Catsup

12 lbs ripe tomatoes
3 lg onions
2 sweet peppers, seeded
1/2 clove garlic
1 cup light brown sugar (or 1/2 cup brown and 1/2 cup white)
1 1/2 cups vinegar
1 1/2 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon dry mustard

Spice Bag:
1 3-inch stick cinnamon
1 tsp black peppercorns
1 tsp allspice berries
1 tbs whole cloves
1 hot pepper pod
1 tsp celery seed or fennel seed

Peel and chop tomatoes, onions, and peppers. Add Garlic. Cook slowly until soft. Put through fine sieve. Simmer for 30 minutes. Add spice bag and remaining ingredients. Simmer 2 or 3 hours, until very thick, stirring frequently. Remove spice bag; strain into hot, sterilized jars and bottle. Makes 4 to 5 pints.

Tomato Catsup, Kitchenette Style

3 quarts seasoned tomato puree
2 tsp paprika
1/2 to 1 cup sugar
2 cups vinegar
cayenne pepper, spices and salt to taste

If there is no puree available, add onion and peppers to canned tomatoes, boil until thick, then strain and mesure. Mix all ingredients. Boil until as thick as wanted. Pour, boiling hot, into hot, sterilized jars; seal at once. Makes 5 pints to 3 quarts.

Our Own Heinz's Tomato Ketchup

1 cup Heinz Distilled White Vinegar
1 1/2 tsp whole cloves
1 1/2 tsp broken stick cinnamon
1/2 tsp whole allspice
1 tsp celery seed
8 pounds tomatoes (32 medium)
1 cup onions, peeled and sliced
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 cup granulated sugar
4 tsp salt

Combine first 5 ingredients in saucepan. Bring to a boil; then remove from heat. Let vinegar stand to absorb spices.

Wash anc cut tomatoes into quarters; combine with sliced onions and cayenne pepper. Simmer uncovered, 20 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking. Press through a sieve. Combine sugar and hot tomato juice in a large kettle. Cook, uncovered, stirring frequently until volume is halved, about 1 hour, 15 minutes.

Strain vinegar; discard spices. Combine salt with spiced vinegar; add to boiling tomato mixture. Continue boiling, uncovered, 30 minutes longer or until thick; stir constantly. Quickly pour into hot, sterilized jars. Fill to 1/8 inch from the top. Seal each jar at once. To help retain color, wrap jars individually in brown paper before storing. Makes 2 pints.

There are a dozen other recipes, including ketchup with cucumbers, mushrooms, blackberry, peaches, and walnuts. There is also one sized for a commercial cannery. For the sake of my fingers I am not going to try to type them all out, lol but if anyone wants another one, send me a pm!

Latest posts