Good tomato varieties for hot climates?

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ariel-
I just found a seed distributor that catalogs tomatoes for different climates ie. hot climate. Maybe this will help. Penny's tomatoes.
http://pennystomatoes.com/hot-weather-tomatoes.html I have not tried them.
Ariel301 said:
I live in a hot, dry climate. (northwest Arizona desert, zone 8) I love to grow tomatoes, and especially want to grow heirloom ones, but I want to plant varieties that are going to be tolerant of heat and low humidity. I water them daily, but they dry out quick, even with heavy mulching. They need to live through 110+ degree summer temperatures. Anyone know of any that might be a good choice for me?

skeeter9

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ariel, we have much the same climate as you here in central California - very hot and dry. I did quite a bit of research last year to find heat-tolerant tomatoes. Here are the ones we thought seemed the best: Thessaloniki, Arkansas Traveler, Beefsteak (most of them), Delicious, Super Sioux, and Marglobe.

desertwillow

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I also live in a hot dry climate in the high desert of CA. My tomatoes are doing great this year even with our already hot weather and the infernal wind. I grew Arkansas Travelers a few years ago and they did well but haven't seen any to buy since then. I'm having good luck with "Solar Fire" and "Heat Wave" and I'm providing shade for the late afternoon sun. So far mine are doing great and have some nice fruit on the Solar Fire. My Celebrity isn't doing well this year. I also use drip irrigation and plant deep.

Latest posts