Got Lambsquarters? (Chenopodium album)

Eleanor

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Don't despair! Eat it!

A prime example of Mother Nature's guerrilla gardening - its leaves are a whopping 24.86% protein!

20200601_160140.jpg

Source: Nutritional Properties of Native Plants and Traditional Foods from the Central United States https://ojs.ethnobiology.org/index.php/ebl/article/download/1219/642

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, Eleanor

I have lambsquarters. On another thread I was saying that I was looking forward to having some for the table, soon. They are only about 4" high right now.

The other thread dealt partly with my problem finding the orach variety that I had as a volunteer in my garden for years & years. I no longer have that garden and didn't save seed at the time I left. The seed that I ordered from a seed outfit had varieties (species?) that were more robust than even lambsquarters! The plants are quickly beyond their best stage and overrunning the bed. I have no idea anymore as to where I bought the original orach seed, long ago. The taste and other qualities of that lambsquaters relative was just great!

Steve

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
How do you cook lambs quarters? I might as well try it, I got galloping gobs of it. Trying hard to pull it all up and feed to the Sheep.

Hi, cook it like spinach, add Olive Oil and Lemon ~ cook it with fluffy scrambled eggs, add lemon ```

Last edited:

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Don't despair! Eat it!

A prime example of Mother Nature's guerrilla gardening - its leaves are a whopping 24.86% protein!

View attachment 35736

Source: Nutritional Properties of Native Plants and Traditional Foods from the Central United States https://ojs.ethnobiology.org/index.php/ebl/article/download/1219/642
I have been searching for lambs quarters for a while now and would love to try it! I never see it when I'm out hiking/exploring. Ive heard it does grow here in the PNW.

Latest posts