Got Lucky Last Night

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
All spring I have been looking for fern leaf bleeding heart, with white flowers. Everyone had them in pink but no white. I was meeting friends for dinner and had to pass a nursery, I was pressed for time and almost didn't stop. But as you can guess I pulled in at last second. Not only did they have the white flower fern leaf but they where half price. I picked up 6 some to keep some to give to friends.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
While nowhere as showy as common bleeding heart, I am hoping the fern leaf white flowers selfseeds as easy as the pink. My friend calls the fern leaf wild bleeding heart.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have white bleeding hearts...not sure what kind of leaf they have. They spread like crazy. I am about to start pulling some. They took over one of my small garden areas. I get lots of compliments on the white. Fun since it is different!

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm stealing another white soon. DH and his hoe seem to have an aversion to them while they are too small to flower. Don't know where I'll be hiding this one to give it a chance at survival. There has to be somewhere DH doesn't want to weed.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I do have a coupon for a perennial of my choice from a local garden center that I'll have to use before the end of the month. It is just not the place DH wants to visit anymore and we are always out together.

Since the place is pretty near the feed store -- and I need chicken feed -- perhaps I can get DH in for a while, or leave him in the car with Cee Cee while I run in for a quick look. A while bleeding heart would be a great find! Of course, they have so many different and beautiful perennials to ignore. . .

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
While nowhere as showy as common bleeding heart, I am hoping the fern leaf white flowers selfseeds as easy as the pink. My friend calls the fern leaf wild bleeding heart.

It's also commonly called squirrel corn (I think they like to eat the tubers)

I've had a similar issue with bleeding heart's close cousin, Dutchman's Breeches. I've always wanted some for our shade garden, but no nursery seems to carry it and no catalog carries it as a plant (and the roots they send when you order never seem to take). Nor have I ever found a wild patch to take a sample from like I did for most of our ferns and Jack-in-the Pulpits (Jacks-in-the Pulpit?)

There was also the case this year of the Mazus reptans . I managed to get one plant of this at a nursery five or ten years ago, and stuck it on the side of the front yard by the pachysandra, where we needed some groundcover. It grew but very very slowly, and never seemed to really spread like I wanted. It didn't help that I had to literally fence the area off after a few years to keep the gardeners from destroying it (there's some sort of weed around here that looks just like M. reptans apart from the flowers (which are smaller and have more white) and once the flowers were done you couldn't tell one from the other, so the gardeners kept pulling it ALL out.) But after that one, I NEVER saw it at a nursery again. That is, until this year, when I was walking by a display of groundcovers at Rosedale and saw they had literally FLATS of the stuff, all I could ever want! However as a final ironic twist, this is also the year when my Mazus decided to get of its proverbial ass and get down to business; we are literally DROWNING in the stuff now. So now that I can get all I want more, I don't actually need any! (plus my original plant is a much nicer cultivar than what they have)