Got the garden all planted....

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Dh keeps trying to convince me that I couldn't garden in Florida...if you add enough organic material, can't you make the soil better?? You know chicken poop, compost, etc?

greengenes

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
come on down. I had the best gardens in south Florida, They have muck that can grow anything. You have a garden from September through may, then you don't bother, you go to the beach. But the trick is finding a yard big enough for a garden and the mango trees, and might as well have an avocado tree...but you do not need as big of a garden.
Up here, we mulch -mulch -mulch -mulch, and mulch... and then you have to move the garden every three years because the nematodes get too bad.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The times I've been there it seemed like everybody had gravel lawns, with stepping stones to their pool. And fruit trees LOTS AND LOTS of fruit trees. I didn't see much in the way of traditionally thought of veggie gardens. Lots of beautiful orchids though.....

greengenes

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The times I've been there it seemed like everybody had gravel lawns, with stepping stones to their pool. And fruit trees LOTS AND LOTS of fruit trees. I didn't see much in the way of traditionally thought of veggie gardens. Lots of beautiful orchids though.....
Florida starts at the base of Georgia and goes alllllllll the way down to Cuba... just about, it is an easy seven hundred miles. That is not even counting the panhandle. From sand to swamps, we have it all.
alligators. we have them EVERYWHERE!

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Let's see been to Disney, Plant City, Key West, Miami (that's a wild place) and 2 other trips to cities I can't remember. It's a nice state but Christmas lights on Palm trees and Santa's sleigh being pulled by pink flamingoes was too much for me.

I will openly admit I miss Key West. It was where my wife and I had our honeymoon. Spent a week there, and was tough to go back home. The fresh seafood, the breeze off the ocean, the surf, the sound of the waves, the history, I REALLY like it there.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
My daughter hates winter, as much as I do... She is contemplating a move to Florida. She says she doesn't want to leave me. I say, "guess why I am here? I didn't want to leave my parents!" I am encouraging her to leave- and then I will follow. Not fond of the alligator and very large bug part of Florida- but the idea of not being cold from September to the 4th of July is very enticing! I will happily gift my snow shoes, shovels, boots, ice melt, etc to you Thistle!