Government Takeover of Your Garden

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Problem is the government 'parents' the people. Acting as if they know best...

So they just restrict the restrictions.... like yelling at a child in the grocery store to behave or they'll get a spanking, but no one ever gets a spanking... just 30 minutes of crying & threats.

Their answer to everything in government is create ANOTHER branch, and hire OTHER people to enforce the laws. Then they are swamped with paperwork and never enforce anything because it means more paperwork... so they create another branch and another position... or in laymans terms... another scape goat for the problems!!!

500 laws to stop things from happening that keep happening because no one bothers with the laws that are already there!

... this is all like listening to my mom... "Do it... or else!"

...or else what? You'll shake your finger at me again?

sparkles2307

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Nice article, its hard to know who to believe. I plan to put in as big an order with Baker Creek this year as I can afford, then really seriously learn about seed saving and implement it. Before "the man" gets his fat fingers in the businesses we still trust.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
sparkles2307 said:
Nice article, its hard to know who to believe. I plan to put in as big an order with Baker Creek this year as I can afford, then really seriously learn about seed saving and implement it. Before "the man" gets his fat fingers in the businesses we still trust.
There is an article somewhere that shows the fat fingers are already in the pie... and they hold almost 90% of it! Monsanto pretty much is connected in one way or another to almost EVER seed company out there.

Maybe Hoodat shared the article over the summer? Its here somewhere.

sparkles2307

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
vfem said:
sparkles2307 said:
There is an article somewhere that shows the fat fingers are already in the pie... and they hold almost 90% of it! Monsanto pretty much is connected in one way or another to almost EVER seed company out there.

Maybe Hoodat shared the article over the summer? Its here somewhere.
Monsanto sent DH some literature a few weeks ago. He's a corn/wheat farmer. I made him burn it and promise not to do business with them. Its hard to get seed for commercial grain growth without getting GMO...it sucks.

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I plan to put in as big an order with Baker Creek this year as I can afford, then really seriously learn about seed saving and implement it. Before "the man" gets his fat fingers in the businesses we still trust.
Do it :D I love Baker Creek and order from them all the time, but Monsanto is buying up small, independent seed companies left and right. Getting a good supply and then learning seed saving is a very smart idea.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Seed savers exchange has a huge online catalog of heirloom and open pollinated varieties.
I just ordered two books on seed saving, "Breed your own vegetable varieties..." by Carol Deppes and also "Seed starters handbook" by Nancy Bubel which has good info on seed saving, which I believe I owned at one time and loaned out...
I'll let these be from my family to me for Christmas! :)

sparkles2307

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
thistlebloom said:
Seed savers exchange has a huge online catalog of heirloom and open pollinated varieties.
I just ordered two books on seed saving, "Breed your own vegetable varieties..." by Carol Deppes and also "Seed starters handbook" by Nancy Bubel which has good info on seed saving, which I believe I owned at one time and loaned out...
I've not had good experience with SSE's seeds in the past. Sad, because I like their whole idea, but if I'm spending more $$$ on seed I want it to be hardy, and theirs hasnt been for me.

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
"Monsantos use of such patented crops. Growing previous Roundup Ready crops such as soy, cotton, and corn have led to greater use of herbicides. It also has led to the spread of herbicide resistant weeds on millions of acres throughout the United States and other countries where such crops are grown, and contamination of conventional and organic crops, which has been costly to U.S. farmers. There is also evidence that such herbicide-resistant crops may be more susceptible to serious plant diseases."
http://thegreenhorns.wordpress.com/...in-against-the-illegal-planting-of-gmo-beets/

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
sparkles2307 said:
thistlebloom said:
I've not had good experience with SSE's seeds in the past. Sad, because I like their whole idea, but if I'm spending more $$$ on seed I want it to be hardy, and theirs hasnt been for me.
That's good to know, as I have never ordered from them. I did think their prices were higher than some of the other heirloom type stuff I've ordered from others.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
wifezilla said:
"Monsantos use of such patented crops. Growing previous Roundup Ready crops such as soy, cotton, and corn have led to greater use of herbicides. It also has led to the spread of herbicide resistant weeds on millions of acres throughout the United States and other countries where such crops are grown, and contamination of conventional and organic crops, which has been costly to U.S. farmers. There is also evidence that such herbicide-resistant crops may be more susceptible to serious plant diseases."
http://thegreenhorns.wordpress.com/...in-against-the-illegal-planting-of-gmo-beets/
If anything it's led to MUCH less herbicides. greater use would only be true if the only herbicide was glysophate.

Anyone that understands weed cycles and pesticide usage would understand the fallacy of the second highlighted phrase.

I get it that some of you HATE Monsanto & modern agriculture. Just remember because of these things you hate, the world has a full stomache and Americans pay about 20% on food compared to the rest of the world.

Latest posts