Great Deal

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Last month a ad on Cl for a potted Chinese Maple, had no price. I email asking and was told $200. Today new ad for tree said, moving must go today make offer. I offered $25 and was blowen away when email came back when can you pick up. Going after work, didn't even know there where Chinese maples, assumed all where Japanese.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was curious from your post so I looked this up. I didn't know about them either.

These Chinese trees typically mature to be somewhere between thirty and forty feet in height. If you are planting them near other trees, be sure to provide adequate spacing of around thirty feet between the trees. The maple tree does best in hardiness zones seven through nine as well as in full to partial sun. Typically these plants bloom during the middle of the springtime and foliage is green and shiny. As with most pants, it is essential that you provide adequate water, while being sure to avoid over-watering. In terms of soil, this maple prefers anything from mildly acidic to mildly alkaline, while avoiding both extremes.
These trees are extremely gorgeous all year, not just within the spring and summer. During the fall, it proves to be extremely rich in color, typically bright red. Even the bark of the tree is highly unique and attractive. Most people prefer to grow this gorgeous tree in full sun in order to get the most out of the vibrant colors during the fall. However, again growing in partial shade is also a viable option.

A somewhat similar Asian plant, the Japanese maple, will not grow in anything but acidity soil. However, that is not the case with the Chinese maple tree, which can grow in mildly alkaline soil. Be sure to use organic mulch, without touching the base of the tree to compliment growing in areas of light soil. It is essential to prune these plants while it is dormant. Furthermore, maintenance of this tree is extremely easy once it becomes more mature, although it may require some attention during initial growth.
Throughout China, this maple is becoming endangered due to the destruction of the surrounding habitat due to construction. In order to keep these plants alive in their native environment, some people have been proactive and created nurseries, specifically designed to keep this plant in existence.
Many people may actually confuse the Japanese maple with the Chinese maple. Although they do not look alike, they are both Asian trees and therefore foreign to the United States. Furthermore, both exhibit a vibrant color, typically red, during the autumn seasons. The Japanese maple goes by the scientific name Acer palmatum, while the Chinese maple is Acer discolor. This distinction should assist you when being sure that you are growing the appropriate plant.
The Japanese maple appears in the shape of a dome and does well in both full sun and partial shade. In terms of size, they tend to grow anywhere between fifteen and twenty-five feet in height. These trees thrive in hardiness zones five through eight, avoiding alkaline soil (which the Chinese maple tree can tolerate). Unlike the Chinese maple, these Japanese maples are nowhere near endangered and are extremely popular bonsai trees throughout Japan.
In conclusion, the Chinese maple is an extremely gorgeous tree that proves to be great decoration for your lawn throughout the entire year. During the autumn, these plants are vibrant and red in color, proving to be loved by all. However, when deciding to plant the Chinese maple, be sure that you have the proper plant and you are not actually planting a Japanese maple. Furthermore, some people are actually seeking to plant the Japanese bonsai tree and accidentally plant this Asian maple. Therefore, when planting any tree go by the scientific name to make sure you are getting the correct plant you desire.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm on the border of zones 6/7 so I usually don't get anything unless it is good for 5,6,7 and 8, but every now and then I take a chance. Sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't. Your local microclimate can make a difference too.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good grief anther bargain tree. :hide What will you nephew think? :rolleyes:As hard as it is to pass up a bargain I am running out of places to put STUFF! LOL

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Nicely done! I'm surprised they were pushing to sell it if they sure moving.

Regardless keep us posted!

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Can't believe I paid $25 for this tree. Trunk is as the size of a baseball bat. Was planted in yard, so zone should be ok. To me it looks like a old weeping japenese maple. landscaper told them was a chinese maple. Not sure how I am going to get out of car, took 3 guys to put in. I love craigs list !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wishin'

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Nyboy, you know you owe us pictures. I'm still waiting on that wrought iron piece you found.

Mary
Can't believe I paid $25 for this tree. Trunk is as the size of a baseball bat. Was planted in yard, so zone should be ok. To me it looks like a old weeping japenese maple. landscaper told them was a chinese maple. Not sure how I am going to get out of car, took 3 guys to put in. I love craigs list !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes pictures :clap We have had japanese mapels, you know the little ones that are 60+ $ for sale on craigslist $20 because people were moving or small local plant nurseries were going out of business. If only I had the space.:\

Latest posts