GREAT NEWS!!!

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Totally agree about not teasing the roo at any time. I also don't hold, pet, coddle them him at all. (I'm not one for holding or petting any of my chickens). I raise feeder insects and garden w/ my chickens so I regularly hand feed them either the insects I raise or the pest insects I collect from the garden, I make sure he gets his fair share of them from MY HAND, he actually knows his name. I help him look good to his ladies b/c most of the insects I give him he calls his ladies over and offers to them which I totally let happen. If you don't have insects to feed them I've heard a treat they love is the walmart hambuger type dog food. Give him respect let him be what he is, but don't take any aggression even a small amount. You can remove the hard part of the spurs, I've heard its fairly easy holding the hard part w/ some pliers and twisting them off, they either don't bleed or bleed very little, so they say. But I've never done it. I have some videos of me feeding them I'll see if I can post them, or see if I already did, not sure.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, how fun! I didn't know you had chickens as a youngin'...What a handsome lad!

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Digits, that pic is just adorable. And the hole, well you were just ahead of your time, that's "styling" now isn't it???? lol

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Very happy that you are getting your Buckeyes and a Buckeye Roo. If you are getting a roo, that is good choice in my opinion. You just never know what is going to happen. So to have a matched set at any given time is a good thing!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Buckeye's are pretty docile... I haven't been around a roo, but I assume he's probably calmer then a EE. :/

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
If anybody would have said something nice to me like that then, I think I'd have been willing to loan them a handful of cateyes and my 2nd best aggie shooter so that they could join the guys. Wouldn't even have to keep their knuckle down if they didn't want to, around a circle in the dirt for a game of marbles . . .

Instead, and having lost those things . . . how about this? Nachoqtpie, since you are thinking of adapting that 42" Purina plan to a 4' by 8' coop - maybe this would be of help.

www.backyardchickens.com/a/a-simpler-coop-design

There are no dimensions listed except, as I said, I'd make the floor out of one 4 by 8 sheet of plywood instead of using it for the roof next time. That would leave the roof a non-standard size. Since I seem to make so much use of cedar fence boards in recent years, 6' fence boards for the roof deck would probably work okay.

Steve :)

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
vfem MORE docile than EEs?? Wow. LOL Now we're talking about Greyhound type relaxing... the first time I see one lounging on a roost... I'm going to rename them Greychicks! :lol:

Steve... thanks!! I have my friend Jody helping me this time... he's a construction guy. I've been showing him about a million coops and telling him how I want to make them different and etc etc... he just keeps laughing at me. :hu

Latest posts