Great Pyrenees Puppy!

Wishin'

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Night before last, I was looking at Pyrenees rescues online.
DH asked why.
Me- I told him that we would have to have another dog, especially when we got sheep and had to keep the ram separate from the ewes.
DH- Why?
Me- Because you put the ram in when you want the ewes bred or else you never know when they are expecting lambs.
DH- Oh. Why do you need another dog?
Me-Because coyotes woke me up twice howling close to the house. If you have the ram by himself, the coyotes will get him. So we need another dog. And we have to have a wether so he can have a friend.
DH-grumble
Me-And it has to be a male, because Paris doesn't get along with other females.

Yesterday afternoon a man walked into DH's work with an 11 week old Pyr male puppy. DH bought him, told the man where we lived and the man brought him to me. :love He scratches at the door to go out to pee. Good start. He ate like there was no tomorrow and has drank like a camel.

I was not looking to get a puppy or even a rescue right now, with moving and all the chaos and confusion for the next several weeks, but there he was. So what do you do when opportunity comes along? He has light blonde ears that look like the color will fade away. He bounced around Parker, our black Lab/Great Dane cross, and barked at him, wanting to play. He tried to play with Polly, our Aussie, but she snapped at him. She is not impressed. He was not shy or cowed down to either of them.

We have named him Trip.

I took him in the back yard yesterday to meet Paris. Her teeth were chomping and she smelled him all over. He didn't know what to think about that. This morning I took him in the backyard, holding him at first, then let him down on the leash. Paris tried to eat him. What a meelee. I was trying to pick Trip up, Paris was pinning him down, mauling him, and DH swung into action with the "chicken herding stick" and got Paris off of Trip. I snatched the squalling baby up and got swiped across my lip by sharp puppy teeth. :\

I put Trip in the house and had a talk with Paris, assured her that she was still Queen, but has to be nice to the puppy. DH also petted her and reassured her that he wasn't mad at her. I think he must've got within the "it's MINE" invisible line around her food bowl. There were no teeth marks on Trip, I think she was just scaring the liver out of him and asserting her dominance. And she did. She lets the chickens eat out of her bowl, but a puppy can't get within radar range of it. Go figure.

Paris is a Great Pyrenees that was given to us because she killed chickens. It took me two years, but she became the best chicken guard ever! She is extremely territorial and everything is HERS. Our Australian Shepherd, Polly, can't go in the back yard, they hate each other. I am looking forward to having more room for Paris and planning on having Dorper sheep for her to guard.

I let the chickens out and they went straight to Paris's food bowl and ate all her dog food. She scarcely gave them a glance. But let a puppy get 15 feet from it and she wanted to have him for breakfast.

Trip spent the night in a large kennel in the garage where he whined and "OOOOOOOOOOOOOO" howled mournfully all night. DH let him out at 5 this morning and I got up to a pile and puddle in the front entry way. At least it was close to the front door. Trip wants to be outside, like a good farm dog should be, but he will just have to bear with us for the next few weeks.

DH and I piled the chicken run with leaves and closed up the hole from the coop to the run. There is a small shelter in the run and we stuffed it with leaves too. It makes a good place for Trip. He is outside and Paris can't eat him. I'll have to go get him and play with him for awhile. :love

View attachment 6042

View attachment 6043
View attachment 6044

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!! @baymule They really are the best dogs.:weee:love

Wishin'

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I remember as a teen getting a puppy after my old dog died. I did not remember every having puppy. What a shock. Then we went for a few years with out a for and my daughter, then 12 begged for a puppy. I can remember the excitement when we brought our gorgeous little Dalmatian home. I stopped short looked the the beautiful thing and said,"Oh my God what have I done?" She was a great dog but died before her 10th birthday. So of corse I had to have another one. Forgot how they eat your house. She's 8 now and starting to act like a dog instead of a pup. The most fun, pain in the A in the world. Oh, how she loves my boys.
I have always loved the dalmatians, well their look anyway. But I have always heard they are mean and hard to train. What do you thin/what was your experience?

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have had 3. The first turned mean after about 10 years.Not to us but to strangers. She bit a couple people while on a long run. I had 3 young children at the time and not enough time for her. I have always asked myself "Why did these people go to a place near a growling barking dog that was restrained in order to be bitten." We had her put down for fear of her hurting one of the neighborhood kids. If adults went up to a growling barking dog, what would a kid do. Also I knew nothing about her parentage. The last 2 I have had, including the one now, have been sweet, darling, smart dogs. They seem to be more destructive as puppies then most. The one I have now is very smart. I have always thought that a dog that is a little dumb is easier to handle. This one has me well trained. They need a lot of exercise. It is not a dog that you could satisfy on a leash. I have played ball and frisbee with my sweet girl until she has had enough. The vet is always impressed with her athletic body. Now that she is 8 she is finally slowing down. If you want to bring home a pup and have them lay in the corner and not bother you a Dalmatian is not for you. Her breeder is always in the ribbons with her dogs. This only impresses me in that she has long lived healthy dogs. I told her I wanted a small sweet girl and that is just what I got. She is only 40 lbs, as was my last one. She is fantastic with my 3 grandsons. That being said I have taken great care that there be no problems. As a pup I layed all over her and pulled at her ears and tail in preparation for children doing the same. I kept them with a gate between them when the boys were babies and toddlers. The youngest always pet and stuck her tongue out at the dog through the gate. It gave them freedom to be together with out biting danger for them to get used to each other. Now they are all fast friends especially the dog and the 2 year old.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
People think of dalmatians as the firehouse dog, they where bred to be protection dog. Back in the days of travel by horse back, people ran the risk of "highway robbers". Dalmatians where bred to run along side carriage or horse durning travel, if owner stopped to attack. The rich wouuld travel with 2 or 3 dogs. You needed a athletic dog that could keep up with a horse all day, and brave enough to attack if needed.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
The dog my son adopted is part Dalmatian. You can see a few pale spots. He is very large, and only about 9 months old right now. He is very protective of the house, but loves to have the two little girls wallow all over him. I don't feel real good about the whole thing, as they are expecting a baby in a couple months.
At least they are going to obedience training with him, and he is learning well.

Wishin'

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have had 3. The first turned mean after about 10 years.Not to us but to strangers. She bit a couple people while on a long run. I had 3 young children at the time and not enough time for her. I have always asked myself "Why did these people go to a place near a growling barking dog that was restrained in order to be bitten." We had her put down for fear of her hurting one of the neighborhood kids. If adults went up to a growling barking dog, what would a kid do. Also I knew nothing about her parentage. The last 2 I have had, including the one now, have been sweet, darling, smart dogs. They seem to be more destructive as puppies then most. The one I have now is very smart. I have always thought that a dog that is a little dumb is easier to handle. This one has me well trained. They need a lot of exercise. It is not a dog that you could satisfy on a leash. I have played ball and frisbee with my sweet girl until she has had enough. The vet is always impressed with her athletic body. Now that she is 8 she is finally slowing down. If you want to bring home a pup and have them lay in the corner and not bother you a Dalmatian is not for you. Her breeder is always in the ribbons with her dogs. This only impresses me in that she has long lived healthy dogs. I told her I wanted a small sweet girl and that is just what I got. She is only 40 lbs, as was my last one. She is fantastic with my 3 grandsons. That being said I have taken great care that there be no problems. As a pup I layed all over her and pulled at her ears and tail in preparation for children doing the same. I kept them with a gate between them when the boys were babies and toddlers. The youngest always pet and stuck her tongue out at the dog through the gate. It gave them freedom to be together with out biting danger for them to get used to each other. Now they are all fast friends especially the dog and the 2 year old.
Thank you @catjac1975

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
The dog my son adopted is part Dalmatian. You can see a few pale spots. He is very large, and only about 9 months old right now. He is very protective of the house, but loves to have the two little girls wallow all over him. I don't feel real good about the whole thing, as they are expecting a baby in a couple months.
At least they are going to obedience training with him, and he is learning well.
I think they should be kept with some restraint from children. But I think that of any dog. The gate was a perfect trainer. They could kiss and touch each other without a biting chance. I think dogs and 2 year olds especially need constant overseeing. Trouble could happen so quickly through no fault of the dog. I have seen the baby pinch the dog with no reaction from the dog. He is not trying to her her. He just doesn't understand and needs to be taught.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
My first Dal that turned bad to strangers was very over protective. The first time she bit she was on a long run and someone who was coming to look at a car we were selling and showed up 3 hours early. Sorry too say she was doing her job protecting our place and family. But that seemed to ruin her. I cannot answer the question as to why someone would go to where a barking dog could reach them. My darling Lily loves everyone and seems to recognize the real dog lovers right away.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
When my pit was younger and had boundless energy, we bought her a doggie backpack and put water bottles in it for added weight. She wore it proud and it helped her to stay focused, like she had an important job to do as we walked. It really helped her get the most out of her walks to expend that extra energy and then they are calm enough to benefit from their obedience training the rest of the day.