Green beans~has anyone ever heard of pickling?

cockadoodlemom

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I didn't get to pickle any of those but I have planted some and can't wait to try that receipe mamaspider and yep it will have extra garlic. Missprissy I love pickled okra as well and I do know how to do that but the sad thing is the kids eat it before I get a chance unless I hide some jars {which I do :lol: }.

SewingDiva

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
Green and wax beans are the only part of chowchow that I actually like, so I'm sure that pickling just the beans alone would be good :)

Pat
This the first ime I've heard of chowchow outside of Northeastern PA! My grandparents made it with green tomatoes, cauliflower, green peppers and onions. They may have also used beans too - I can't remember actually.

I've always wondered if it was a purely regional thing to that area of PA.

My grandfather also called green peppers "mangos".

~Phyllis

ahbee01

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
We canned chow chow a few years back, my grandparents used to can it all the time, but when they passed away they took there recipe with them! I have found one that was similar to theirs and made it for my Mom and my aunt for Christmas a few years back, that is how I started my canning adventure!
It had green tomatoes, cauliflower, cukes, red and green peppers,cabbage & onions.It is so good!
It is also like Piccadilly!
Brenda
PS we are from Ohio, near Youngstown!

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Any pickled vegetable has a place on my plate! :)

The most common pickled bean food where I live, is probably 3 bean salad, which I love.

But then, I also like mixed pickled vegetables; fresh pickled cucumbers and onion; pickled beets; pickled baby corn; pickled summer squash.....did I mention my "thing" for pickled veggies? :)

(We won't even start with brined things...like olives and saurkraut!) :)

Latest posts