Green Beans turning yellow-What the heck is that!!

Nubsmum

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Have a nice raised bed of Kentucky Wonder poles and Asian yard long. Both types are starting to yellow. :barnie
Plants are only about 4 inches tall. New bed, new soil temps between 55 at night to 80 or so during the day. Have enough watering going on. Have fertilized once with miracle grow.

Any one have any ideas?:th

Rio_Lindo_AZ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Is the soil well drained? It could be that the water can't find a way out and stays there all day. Beans need well drained soil.

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm going to guess the same....too much water.

The other thing could be a deficiency.

I hope they make it for you, good luck!

Nubsmum

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
The beds are raised with wood frame. If anything it drys out fast. The soil is 1/4 sand. Very good drainage.

I will try some more fertilizer. The bed next to it is also bean and they are doing well. They were planted about three weeks earlier and are already getting tall.

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hmmm, that's really strange. Then it shouldn't be either water, or nutrients.

I just don't know. We never had trouble past a few beetles with our beans.

I sure hope you discover the problem!

kenman

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Is it just some of your plants or all? And do you have a male dog? If you do have a male dog, he may be marking territory. My dog marked some of my tomato plants and the leaves turned yellow up to the point where he marked.

Nubsmum

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Yes we do have male dogs but they are not allowed out on our property without a leash or in our 12,000 square foot dog pen. We don't have strays either. It is the whole bed of plants. I will re check the soil at the bottom of the box. We put the boxes down in April and put down cardboard over the existing grass/weeds as described in square foot gardening.Then filled in the boxes with the brand new soil. It could be that the cardboard has not completely composted.

I had also planted some onion on one side of the box and since found out that bean don't like onion (racist little buggers-can't we all just get along?) however the other box with the healthy beans also has onion on one side.

:hu

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm thinking fertilization may be the problem after all, especially since drainage is very good.

Sometimes very sandy or very well drained soils can deplete nutrients very quickly, especially in raised or container gardens. Instead of fertilizing with a commercial product that's a spray or pellet I would use a well aged compost. This will allow the soil to hold more nutrients and moisture.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Can I suggest that if you're going to fertilize *again*, do only HALF the plants? It is not impossible that your fertilizer is in fact the problem, if you are somehow burning their roots or overloading them on something or other. If your eggs aren't all in one basket, you can see which treatment does better.

Good luck,

Pat

Nubsmum

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have a nice bag of steer poo compost. Would that be too harsh?

Latest posts