Grow Bags for Zucchini

Titan Farm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I haven't opened up the bags yet so I don't know what the soil looks like.

Mary
It very nice looking soil.
I got a few bag about 5 years ago and loved it. I would have kept using it but shipping was very expensive.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Titan, I'm excited to use it. I'm hardening off my zucchini right now so hopefully I'll be planting them in a couple days. I love how the ingredients are listed and it's all good stuff. This will be a first for me using quality soil. I always buy at Home Depot for price and convenience.

I will be growing Astia for the first time in the grow bags. It's for containers and small gardens. So new experience all together, first time zucchini, first time grow bags, and first time quality soil.

Mary

Titan Farm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
@ninnymary

I been putting it off for some time but, maybe I'll do a Side by Side test of Big Rootz, My Soil Mix, Fox Farms Ocean and Forest and Miracle Grow to see how they compare to each other.

Maybe I'll make 4 "EarthBox" that have a self watering system, fill each "EarthBox" with a different soil and grow a tomato in each "GrowBox" for the season and compare how each tomato plant does/did.

Last edited:

RebeccaRN

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I want to try grow bags to grow my zucchini in since I don't have much ground space. The Gurney catalog says to use a 20 gallon size one for zucchini. I got them and they seem huge! They are slightly bigger than my black nursery tree containers.

I have tried googling it and seen some youtubes. Not much info on what size to use. The youtube videos just show large pots. Apparently the bigger the pot they will use less water and nutrients so you won't have to water and feed as often.

I have been debating whether to return the ones I have and get the 15 gallon size ones. I know I can just not fill them up as much but the size is kind of bothering me.

What do you guys suggest? The 20 or 15 gallon size?

Any one else tried growing in grow bags? There are pros and cons. What has been your experience?

Thanks for any thoughts or ideas.

Mary
I got 5 15gal grow bags this year. So far I have beans, zucchini, yellow squash & sugar snap peas growing in them. Ill let you know how well they do

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
First time growing Astia zucchini and I see two female flowers with babies! I always get male flowers first with other zucs. Hoping they will get fertilized. So far I am likeing this new zucchini. It's bred for containers and small gardens and will grow only about 30" wide.

Mary

RebeccaRN

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Next year I'm gonna try the Back to eden method of gardening, it looks amazing and so simple. Makes so much sense

Latest posts