growing artichokes?

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow
I suspect that 8 will be more than enough..........!!! They will need a lot of manure (matured of course) to keep that number fed. So start a GIANT compost heap now!

GOOD LUCK!

:rose Hattie :rose

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hattie the Hen said:
:frow
I suspect that 8 will be more than enough..........!!! They will need a lot of manure (matured of course) to keep that number fed. So start a GIANT compost heap now!

GOOD LUCK!

oh yes i have a little pile of manure from my pheasants and other birds that you be enough, wish i had rabbits or goats though that would be great manure. Maybe i'll post pics of the little sprouts later.

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
ok.... i now have plenty of artichoke transplants with 4 true leaves on them, is there anything i should know about transplanting them? Last year when i transplanted them they were a little finicky with their roots being disturbed.

Thanks!

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow Hi Greenthumb! :frow

I have never had any problems with transplanting artichokes. In the past I just made sure they had lots of well-composted manure in the planting hole (really needs to be the whole planting area as they grow sideways as the 'pups' grow). I would mulch on the top to keep them moist & weed free. You will have to keep them well-watered.

I would give them some Aspirin water when you transplant -- I have found that this helps a lot to get plants settled in after transplantation! I use one soluble Aspirin to a gallon of water. I have used it on all my seeds, seedlings, transplants & in plant "accidents" (ie: broken stems from my chickens' big feet)! :barnie

I have about 6 plants ready to put out this fall. I have been potting them on into larger pots as I don't have time at the moment to prpare the piece of ground for them -- too much else to do at the moment.....!!

Hope this helps -- Good Luck! :happy_flower

Latest posts