growing broccoli

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
my mom used to dust them with flour, my grandfather said the worms eat the flour and get huge and die.

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
ams3651 said:
my mom used to dust them with flour, my grandfather said the worms eat the flour and get huge and die.
Now that is an interesting tidbit I have never heard of before! The original organic pesticide. I will have to give that a try, as I hate those dang cabbage worms.

Whenever I see those white cabbage moths flying around the garden, I go out and try to chase them away. The flour method sounds a lot less labour intensive.:D

Robinegg

Leafing Out
Reaction score
my mom used flour to dust her plants too. She was always pleased with the results.

cockadoodlemom

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I planted broccoli for the first time too. Thanks everyone for the great tips. I just got a huge 10 lb bag of flour free so I know where that will go and next year I will plant it by the corn because of Steve's tip.

s6bee

Sprout
Reaction score
Those dang green worms are the only thing keeping me back from planting broccoli. But if flour will do the trick, I'll give it one more try. We eat it all thet time. I'm afraid though that my kids will turn thier noses at it again. Last time I grew it, they did just that. They are used to the bland stuff from the store.

Jillylam

Sprout
Reaction score
I love the sound of the flour trick. Those worms gross me out too. I haven't used any chemicals in my gardens for years so I love inventive ways to fight critters off. Oh and I didn't know you could actually buy broccoli plants already started. Where do you get them?

Latest posts