Growing Goodness: The Joy of Organic Vegetable Cultivation

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I know the inner workings of the organic movement and know their hypocrisy.

Are you aware they have established rules on how a producer can break the rules and still label it organic?

Best is to talk to producer, see how he produces whatever it is that he is seling and not buying and re-selling (fruit or vegetables out of season.). IF it is a meat or poultry product, can assume they fed GMO Grain. Legal by organic standards. You just have to file a paper that you can’t locate any organic grain. Don’t ask about “free range” or “cage free”.

I will leave you to your discussion now. Just thought some new posters might want to know the truth about their food.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I know the inner workings of the organic movement and know their hypocrisy.

Are you aware they have established rules on how a producer can break the rules and still label it organic?

i am, i've studied those regulations.

Best is to talk to producer, see how he produces whatever it is that he is seling and not buying and re-selling (fruit or vegetables out of season.). IF it is a meat or poultry product, can assume they fed GMO Grain. Legal by organic standards. You just have to file a paper that you can’t locate any organic grain. Don’t ask about “free range” or “cage free”.

I will leave you to your discussion now. Just thought some new posters might want to know the truth about their food.

the truth is best known by those who do it. grow your own.

as someone who has studied the rules and regulations enough to know what you're talking about that's quite a different thing than someone who's violating those regulations.

the best thing for anyone who's concerned with the topic in the USoA is to go read the regulations themselves.

personally i use the word natural instead (because i do not like the gov't coopting of the word "organic") or normal or old-fashioned. that makes it clear i'm not using the word organic. i also like the words minimal and low-till or no-till.

i don't raise or feed animals other than the wild animals that come here to eat.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
and now think of this @seedcorn, if you knew that a farmer was following the "organic" regulations of the USoA and sticking to them to produce food or animals would you consider this worse, the same or better than conventional agricultural practices?

IMO they'd be doing better and any improvement is worth it to the soil, air, water, animals and wildlife.

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Organic is a mindset; a lot of this conversation has gone down a peculiar path (IMO). What the government did or how some large corporate entity’s act has absolutely no influence to me.

It’s a huge camp with lots of tents and folks thoughts and ideal’s are clearly on display when they hoist this or that flag in front of they’re tent. Still, of no consequence to me! I could go on for hours defining various “Organic” labels i don’t go along with but at the end of the day it all boils down to “why you doing this”?

From my earliest post you can see my own reasons; providing the best produce for a sick wife who’s life is full of complications, many of which are affected by what she eats! No big boast here, just common sense.
I like to tell people, “around here, you can even eat the dirt” and i’m proud of that. It takes a conscious effort mostly due to all the deceitful ag products available with questionable origins; folks looking to bilk the system for personal gain!

Aside from my commitment to my wife i completely enjoy the organic path for the satisfaction i get from my own efforts, no help from a chemical company! I’m not a “tree hugger” i cut them down and burn them as firewood And yet I get irritated when the Robins steal my worms! Those worms are there because of my efforts and i consider them part of the team. When i hang a rib section on the “bird feeder” i feel good knowing all the birds that stop by are benefitting from my organic efforts. I’m proud of having a lawn that’s over 75% dutch clover and dandelions because my bees cant make a living in grass.

”organic” is a mind set, evaluate your‘s and decide where or even if you want to camp! Not everyone is remotely interested, which is no big deal to me. I’m not going to flog you for spraying roundup all over your yard but i’m also never gonna take my shoes off and play croquet on it either!

I appreciate Management‘s efforts to introduce these topics and hope we can steer this conversation back toward it’s intended path?

Now i gotta go do Rabbit chores, and keep the poop flowing; it’s valuable too!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Organic is a mindset; a lot of this conversation has gone down a peculiar path (IMO). What the government did or how some large corporate entity’s act has absolutely no influence to me.

@seedcorn has a guilty conscience and so he always drags the conversation into the history he has. since i've studied the same regulations he's going on about i think it fair to point out that he's got a rather skewed view of the topic.

the telling thing is what he actually does when he gardens. does he use "organic" methods (or close to them) or conventional agricultural methods or what? and why?

what other people do does have some influence on me since our property is almost surrounded by farm fields that get regularly sprayed and applications of this and that. luckily the field directly to the south of us may be going into a conservation easement so that will be a welcome change if it happens.

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ok, this link will introduce you to a highly regarded “Modern founding Father” in the push toward better practices longer ago than a lot of you been around!

some of it is highly technical but i just “speed read” thru those sections; trying to remember the 3 words in any sentence i actually understand. At my level, i get enough of it that my imagination kicks in and i decide how i can apply any of it in my operation. At the end of the day, im smarter after perusing different “vintage authors” papers! ‘Elaine Ingham” is another good reference! She’s been a favorite of mine for sometime! What i’ve learned from her gives me the appreciation i have for those worms and the “micro herd” which are the starting point to all of this.

Both of these links are the complete set’s of articles and for sale! Type the title’s into a search engine and squirrel around abit and you’ll find them available free.
Rodale’s were popular during this same time period and there’s plenty of useful stuff from them if you just look for it a bit! The Rodale stuff was of a less technical nature; more how to stuff; that folks like me could read and understand whole sentences!😳

Last edited:

Latest posts