Growing roses from rose hips

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i have wild roses all over the place in my yard. a few years ago i realized that the seedlings don't have the same shape to their leaves like the parents. it could take a couple of years when they are big enough to look like their parent. you probably want to cold stratify the seeds before you plant them.

hannahsmith

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I love flowers, but roses and tulips are my favorite.
Thanks for sharing this really helpful info.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
bobm said:
Why bother with the seeds when you get poor germination and you do not know the genetics in the seeds therefore the blooms may or may not be the same as the desired one ? My mother used to save about 1 ft. long parts of the stalks when she pruned her roses in the winter and kept them in the refrigerator wrapped in moist paper towels wrapped in plastic saran wrap. In the spring, she would just push these half way down ( make sure you identify the bottom end of the cane is the end that is into the soil ) into the garden soil where she wanted them to grow... soon they would sprout leaves, and she had perfect clones of the desired mother rose.
I've tried 3 times now to sprout my fall cuttings with no luck. This is the first mention I've heard of putting them in the fridge like that. Do they form any roots while in the fridge? I know they need high humidity, so I made a tent out of a clear plastic bag over this last batch (the Ball jar method has failed me twice). I brought mine in from the sunroom because I thought it was too cold out there to get them going, but they molded when I brought them inside. They looked good up until that point. Now I wish I'd left them out there!

seedcrazy

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I wanted my grandmother's rose but they wouldn't let us dig it up (new owner) so I took a pot of soil over there, stuck the end of one stem down in the dirt and tamped around it (still connected to the bush) and came back every couple days and kept it watered, eventually when I tugged on the stem, it didn't pull out, so I clipped it loose from the main plant and wallah, I had me my own rose clone of granny's bush.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am a big time back yard daylily hybridizer hobbyist. It started with saving seed of all kind and then later cross breeding roses. I started cutting roses from some I have received as cut flower gifts. I had minimal luck germinating my rose seeds. I did get a very simple many petaled yellow rose. It was a fun challenge but not very rewarding. All the instructions said it would be quite easy for germination but I did not find it so. The seedling died out after a few winters and never really thrived. A few of the cuttings lasted a few seasons also. I find daylily breeding much more rewarding. As a mater of fact last spring I planted out what I can only guess was 10,000 seedlings of original cultivars. Many will bloom this summer and most will bloom the next summer. Every summer day especially in July is like hunting for treasure!!!

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeehaw Cat! One day lots of folks will be seeing your varieties in nurseries

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't know about that. There are a lot of great breeders out there. I love the gardening and breeding part but the merchandising is not great fun to me. My husband is putting together a website. I want to stay small to keep it fun.
marshallsmyth said:
Yeehaw Cat! One day lots of folks will be seeing your varieties in nurseries

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
DAYLILIES!!! :love

A couple of years ago my SIL & I were staying at mountain cabin in the far south west corner of VA. After hiking up Mt Rogers one day, she went to take a nap and I went for a drive. I stumbled across this this little hand painted sign "daylilies for sale" nailed to a tree! It was this really sweet family's yard. They came out and I told them about the area I wanted to plant. The woman showed me a big 3-ring binder listing DOZENS & DOZENS of varieties and helped me pick out a few. We played with the dogs and her son while her husband dug them up and put each variety in plastic bags.
Last year something (deer) nipped each bloom JUST before it opened so I didn't get to see a single one of them. I'm really looking forward to the show on my driveway this year.

Latest posts