Growing roses from rose hips

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
One thing that is general about breeding is the second generation from self pollination, or sibling pollination. I don't know if you're doing that, but in general it gives a lot of results that f1 alone will not give. you get more recessive traits showing up in f2's

I looked at a daylily breeder's website. holy cats, 125 dollars for one plant was a typical price!

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
They are expensive. The GROWERS want them first so will pay a premium. In the south they can reproduce one fan to a half dozen sellable size fans in just a few months. The collectors want them right away. It is very hard work at my scale but mine is nothing compared to the big breeders and growers. I have seen a plant go as high on the daylily auction as in the 400 dollar range. That is rare but they are often in the 250 dollar range and more. There are of course many that are reasonable. I have been breeding for many years so I have cross bred many generations.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes I think they might on the daylily auction. I think growers sell it but maybe not breeders. They also sell seed but I have never bought any. Too much chance of wasting money, though seed is cheap. My pleasure comes from creating my own cultivars, though coveting some of those beauties for breeding stock is a battle. Big eyes small wallet.
http://daylily.com/cgi-bin/auction.cgi?cultivarsaintros

Latest posts