Grrrrrr!!! Gophers...

desertlady

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I went out to my garden to find a big hole! I am sure it gophers ! I wonder if I am missing my seeds?:he No looking forward chasing them !!!!!

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
AAAAAgh! Gophers!

I know what ya mean!

A gophergitter Abysinnian Cat will get them, but will also damage some areas in its search, but it is worth it.

Check the animal shelters in your area if you need one, but make sure it is a proven gophergitter. Does not need to be a purebred Abysinnian, but should have some looks of being at least part aby.

Gophers require planning.

Gophers can't climb. 18 inches to a gopher is like 18 feet to a person. They can't climb.
There are 12 different kinds of Gopher in North America.
Gophers can see. Maybe not as well as a jet pilot or astronaut, but they find their goodies by looking.
Gophers are finicky eaters. They will wait for stuff to ripen, and do taste tests, and come back later to finish eating after something ripens.
Gophers will call all their gopher friends over for a feast when they find it. Have one Gopher today, in a week you have ten Gophers!
Gophers do not like some things.
Gophers leave Beans alone entirely.
Gophers are gourmet cuisine snobs.

Your species of Gopher may have different habits and ways than my species. Ya gotta figure them out and plan accordingly. Meantime, get a GOPHERGITTER Abysinnian!

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Gopher or Ground hog. We have Ground Hogs that are a real problem. Yes, they will take a bite out of EVERYTHING to see if it is good! Several summers ago we had a family under a shed near the garden. It took all summer to get them to leave. (Dead or alive!) DH shot the rain barrel one day trying to get one. :gig (They can run fast.) We now have a dog that hates them. He has actually treed one already this spring! So much for not being able to climb.... maybe the adreniline of the chase got him up there !!! ( They are mean, DH got in and distracted the dog during a fight so one could run... did not want dog bitten.) They seemed to really like the squash, pumpkin, melon, gourds and cucumber. They did leave beans alone. Go figure.
Good luck with gopher control. I will be anxious to see what works!

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
desertlady said:
I went out to my garden to find a big hole! I am sure it gophers ! I wonder if I am missing my seeds?:he No looking forward chasing them !!!!!
I fought with gophers for 35 years and finally resorted to poisoning them. It is not something I did without concern for their suffering. However, they are almost impossible to catch in a trap, no one wants them relocated to their property, so you have to kill them any way. We do not have or use guns. It is also illegal to relocate wild animals. They will mow down your veggies at their peak of perfection. We have a fence that is buried 18 inches deep around the garden and that is only a deterrent. I had a neighbor who's dog could catch and kill them at will. Have never seen a dog like it since.

desertlady

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
we use to have a dog that eats gophers!:sick She will try to bring it in my house !! I wish my dog will do that. she only chases birds...

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
my neighbor dispatched one for me with his Glok 9 a few summers ago, he thinks he also got the dad but never found the body. i got momma with a garden hoe when she was startled and caught in the garden, ran for the fence and got stuck when i got behind her. :rolleyes: hubby took care of one of the siblings and the 5th one must have got the message since i didn't see it last year!

btw, i used a have-a-heart trap placed in their visible pathways through my backyard. caught 2 this method. i had just bought the trap and didn't have it set up yet when i caught momma in the garden.

desertlady

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
My friends was telling me that gophers dont like black peppers. So I will give it a try, but I dont think that will get rid of them !! also chewing gum can block their intestines and kills them. What other remedies do you guys know? Lately I havent seen that pest, I think my neighbors dog got him ! :ya