Gurney vs Parks

Rusty

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Your location has a lot to do with it........mainly the type of soil you have. When I lived in PA, I could throw any kind of seed around and it would grow. I moved to VA, brought some plants with me & everything died. The soil down here is just solid clay, I've had to add tons of compost. A soil tester could help you find out if your dirt needs help
Like you, I could grow anything at the old farm in Florida. The soil was very sandy and I could throw the composted manure from the barn on there and toss in some seeds and have to beat back the plants! Here in Alabama the soil is also clay, plus my manure is full of bermudagrass seed, and now nothing much grows for me. I grow my tomatoes in pots! Oh, and when the state tested it for me, they said I needed TONS of lime per acre because the pH was only 4.1!!! So gardening here is a real challenge.

I am thinking that where the original seed came from has a big impact too. If the plants were grown in rich, sandy loam, for example, I suspect the seeds they produced may just not be able to handle these harsh conditions!

Anyhow, I think I'll stick with Park Seed because they are closer, so hopefully the seeds will be better adapted.

Gurney's staff are nice folks, though. Last year I ordered 25 strawberry plants and by the time they got done shipping and reshipping the same order I had over 75 plants! Unfortunately none of them survived the bermudagrass that took over their bed, but the Gurney people sure did try to help!

Rusty :tools

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I like Parks. I just got their biodome for xmas. I have purchased seed a few times in the last year and had no problems. In fact last year one order came in less than a week. I also have always had good germination from them.

Latest posts