ham and bean soup

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Does your mom like spinach? They are very similar. Escarole is much easier to grow. One of the very few things I grow from seed.
Glad you said it's easy to start from seed. I may need to try growing it. Bet it would go good with my spanish chorizo kale soup.

Mary

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Nyboy i looked it up when i saw your mention of it and it said it is slightly bitter so she would not like it at all. she doesn't like any of the kale, chards, beet greens, cabbage, turnips, etc. and barely tolerates spinach (once in a while we get it to add to our salads). i like or can tolerate about any green i've had (kale isn't high on my list but i can eat it).

most of the time we have romaine hearts, carrots and she puts tomatoes and crunchy junk on her salads. i can't eat tomatoes and try to avoid the crunchy junk even if it goes really good with ranch dressing... :)

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Nyboy i looked it up when i saw your mention of it and it said it is slightly bitter so she would not like it at all. she doesn't like any of the kale, chards, beet greens, cabbage, turnips, etc. and barely tolerates spinach (once in a while we get it to add to our salads). i like or can tolerate about any green i've had (kale isn't high on my list but i can eat it).

most of the time we have romaine hearts, carrots and she puts tomatoes and crunchy junk on her salads. i can't eat tomatoes and try to avoid the crunchy junk even if it goes really good with ranch dressing... :)
What is the crunchy junk?

Mary

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
What is the crunchy junk?

Mary

Cheddar Cheese flavored Chex Mix... i can't believe she doesn't glow in the dark at night from all that orange stuff... :)

Croutons ?

we call those "little bread cubes" because she can't always remember the fancy word for them. we have a whole vocabulary of made up words because she is even more dyslexic than i am and she can't spell for beans.

some of her stock phrases are "feast or phantom" or "carp lunch" just to grab a few examples for grins.

she has more character in her little toe than i do in my whole bean. cracks me up and i give it right back at her so it's often pretty funny around here right from the first time i crawl out of bed...

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think that I like spinach salad better than lettuce salad. Cooked spinach has limited appeal and, it's a little hard to grow here. Spinach bolts early with the advent of hot dry weather. The other amaranths have a little longer season, I suppose. Baby beets are a favorite but aren't really around very long.

Yes, I like members of the cabbage family. Broadly, that could not only included kale and mustard but broccoli and bok choy. It's a varied family but there are similarities.

The chicory family is quite different. Other than a nibble, I'm not gonna eat endive or radicchio raw. Nope, they are too bitter and not for me. Escarole is not so bitter and cooked, it isn't really bitter at all. Escarole provides some balance from too much cabbage and kale and mustard and broccoli and bok choy, etc. in digitS' diet!