Happy Childhood

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
pre-tecnology childhood.jpg

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeah, you've not lived until you've swam in a creek and picked leeches off of yourself. :D

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am not sure it was just that technology took over. There were many other changes -- some good; some bad; some neutral -- that made the "idyllic'(?) life shown in the photo become a thing of the past.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
The photo would not have been form my childhood unless I was visiting a friends farm. But we played outside sunrise to sunset. (Or after chores on Saturday!) Annie Annie Overhead, tag, sardines, kick the can, jump rope, jacks, bikes, hop-scotch, hide-n-seek, the big swing set and slide the neighbors had, climbing trees, ditching sis. ;) catching bugs, jumping in puddles etc....

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was thinking about this same thing yesterday during garden class.
I'm sure the neighbor kids will look back at their childhoods fondly, but I wonder how differently their outlooks are shaped by media. They do play outside, but some of them turn the tv on (in their bedrooms!!) and watch movies all day. There's no imagination or brain activity required for that, and they believe the baloney portrayed in the agenda driven shows that are a daily staple.
I'm glad my childhood would be judged boring by most kids. We had lots of time to just be kids, and use our imaginations and muscles.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Kept my 2 busy with some chores and sports. Problem is when they get older, friends are video box players

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think what that meme is really getting at is the loss of free time and imaginative play. Between evenings spent doing hours of homework and the rest of the time spent in front of the TV or twiddling their thumbs on some device, children are really missing out on being children. Heck, even doing chores, they need that to build character and skills. I read somewhere and would have to go dig to find reference for it, but certainly all of this constant immersion in some form of media (phone, tv, video games, computer) would affect a child's attention span, interpersonal communication skills and ability to concentrate. It's not a good thing. Playtime is a child's WORK and necessary for their healthy development.

Latest posts