Happy Childhood

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think what that meme is really getting at is the loss of free time and imaginative play. Between evenings spent doing hours of homework and the rest of the time spent in front of the TV or twiddling their thumbs on some device, children are really missing out on being children. Heck, even doing chores, they need that to build character and skills. I read somewhere and would have to go dig to find reference for it, but certainly all of this constant immersion in some form of media (phone, tv, video games, computer) would affect a child's attention span, interpersonal communication skills and ability to concentrate. It's not a good thing. Playtime is a child's WORK and necessary for their healthy development.
I agree 110% :)

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was shocked , when I saw a over priced hose label safe to drink out of. I think all summer the hose was only way we drank.

( I was looking for a smiley face drinking from a hose. )
Never went inside to get a drink. Hose was handy. Had to let it run the HOT water out 1st! :sick

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I suspect our hoses were made in the USA and, while not marked safe for drinking, they were. Today's market is supplied by countries such as China where many chemicals not approved for any purpose end up in the things for sale here.

My new personal favorite is the mercury on ropes of lighting. There is a warning to wash you hands after touching the roping.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
My grandchildren all loved staying at grandma's house, I think, because we were able to do all the things I remembered from my childhood. The grands were outside from dawn to dusk. They learned all the fun games, had jump rope, jacks, and marble "contests", played in the dirt and scrubbed up after the fun was over. Inside we cooked, crafted, painted, and generally made messes. In short, we had fun! No one was alone with a computer in a room full of family.

My house was always behind the rest of the world in technology and we were all better off for it.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was in the nursery at church the other day and was playing with one of the itty-bitties. I had one of those phones with the big face on the front and a dial for a nose... anyway I kept picking up the handset and saying "Hello? Hello?" and she was looking at me like I'd lost my mind.
Then I realized that she had NO IDEA that thing was a phone.
jawsmiley[1].gif

Latest posts