Happy Halloween!

Jane23

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Did anybody else ever get popcorn balls? I always thought that those houses put effort into their candy giving, instead of grabbing a bag of candy.
Starting this year I will no longer give out candy. Our street is short, child population has dropped.
I bought 6 packs of whole Hershey bars, like I have for the last 5 years, and the only kids who came to my door were from 3 familys that I know. I have been sitting on the porch playing spooky music on my laptop for 2 hours--wasting my time!
If the kid population changes, I will re think.
This year I hand delivered the 6 packs early, and shut my lights off on Saturday (our day this year for trick or treating.)
Yesterday, Halloween, I went to DD's church. They had Trunk or Treat, fed chili, hot dogs and soup in their very nice basement fellowship hall, gave out candy.
DD's performed a really cute skit about getting to know someone you don't like, called "The Princess and the Pirate."
They have convention costumes and pulled from their stock. It was a ten minute play with 4 songs with re written lyics, like:
"I am a Pirate Queen," pulled from Gilbert and Sullivans "The Pirates of Penzance."
Skit, to wit,the Princess (Zelda) didn't invite the Pirate Queen (and crew) to the palace party bc the pirates trashed the palace last time, and they conclude that they misunderstood each other, and each life has it's own challenges.
Good simple message that doesn't hit you over the head with the Bible.
I'd post it, BUT youngest DD (atty) doesn't want performances floating around on FB or other places, so you will have to imagine, but pretty slick script.

Btw, ALDI sold 6 packs of hershey bars for $3.50/pkg last August, $6.50 last Week.
BOO!!!!
A lot of them are heading for malls or more populated areas. I would say, skip the holiday or go to a mall. A lot of parents are deeming their areas too dangerous to take their kids around. Plus, you can get more candy in one spot than walking.

Plus, with many hover parents in effect, they don't want to risk their kids crossing the street anymore. I live in a small town now so it is still a big thing.

It was dying in my day as I was in a populated area once, and while I am not young.....

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
i remember those peanut butter taffy's that nobody liked as a kid. now i would eat a whole bag of them.

and those circus peanuts
PayDay candy-bars?

Saturday (our day this year for trick or treating.)
How do you or your community get away with that?

Yes, somehow I can imagine the princess and pirate play :).

We had about half the houses on this long block with lights on, last night. The college kids next door were home but had a party over the weekend and closed down on Halloween. The single lady on the east side turned her lights off at 7:30. Three houses across the road with lights off but one couple has worked nights for a number of years and adult kids were not playing trick or treat game.

Something between 12 and 20 young kids came by. Scared Garbanzo, anyway!!

Steve, imagining that this must be a nearly-lost school day ;)

Last edited:

Pulsegleaner

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
PayDay candy-bars?

How do you or your community get away with that?

Yes, somehow I can imagine the princess and pirate play :).

We had about half the houses on this long block with lights on, last night. The college kids next door were home but had a party over the weekend and closed down on Halloween. The single lady on the east side turned her lights off at 7:30. Three houses across the road with lights off but one couple has worked nights for a number of years and adult kids were not playing trick or treat game.

Something between 12 and 20 young kids came by. Scared Garbanzo, anyway!!

Steve, imagining that this must be a nearly-lost school day ;)

Well, at least moving it still gives them a chance. The former principal of our high school (who was worried about thew fact that the students had gotten to the age where they were more interested in "tricks" than "treats") once tried to cut down mischief by pressuring the teachers to give a TON of extra homework on Halloween, so that the teens would be too busy doing it to go out.

Halloween is a sort of mixed bag for me. On one hand, living in Sleepy Hollow, Halloween is BIG business here, as one would expect, My parent's even informed me that, since I left, the high school actually hires someone to dress up as the Headless Horseman to lead the football team out onto the field for the first game of the season*) And it is fun trying to hunt down all of the pumpkins, and such for decorations.

On the other hand, Halloween DOES put me smack dab in the middle of a mountain of extra temptation, in the form of all of that extra candy in the house. Resisting taking any before the holiday is easy, but afterward, when you have that huge pile of leftovers just sitting there day after day, that get's a little harder (it doesn't help that now, with both mom and dad retired, neither of them can just take the leftovers to their office and get them out of my sight. Already, I have had to forbid them from bringing in any Reese's cups, as those are hardest to resist.

These last three years, there has also been the matter of Juniper. On one hand, having an actual living black cat for Halloween is good for making the house look more authentic. On the other hand, the amount of opening and closing of the door we need to do to respond to the trick or treaters means we have to keep an extra eye on him, lest he get out and get into trouble (there are a lot of nasty things that can happen to a black cat on Halloween.)

*Which has led me to re-introduce the idea of suggesting to the school board to re-dress the Headless Horseman in a proper Hessian Uniform (the red and white kind). Not only would it be more historically and story accurate (as well as making him more visible when they decide to have him ride through the manors at night), but red and white ARE the school colors.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
OMG, do you like the "Sleepy Hallow" movie? I thought it was Christini Ricci's/Johnny Depp's best performances, and I love the end scene in New York and their play on the song from "On the Town."
Have you ever tried giving out candy that you don't like much?
EASY for me. I "like" chocolate, but it is NOT one of my many food addictions, like watermelon, where I can put down 1/2 melon at one sitting, so I buy full sized Hershey bars. Leftovers are stored and the rest of the family consumes them.
How about a historically accurate horseman...wearing a school colors t shirt? :gig

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I carved this pumpkin last night at a Halloween dinner party!

Attachments

• IMG_20221031_221722815_640x480.jpg
    IMG_20221031_221722815_640x480.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 82

Pulsegleaner

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
OMG, do you like the "Sleepy Hallow" movie? I thought it was Christini Ricci's/Johnny Depp's best performances, and I love the end scene in New York and their play on the song from "On the Town."
Have you ever tried giving out candy that you don't like much?
EASY for me. I "like" chocolate, but it is NOT one of my many food addictions, like watermelon, where I can put down 1/2 melon at one sitting, so I buy full sized Hershey bars. Leftovers are stored and the rest of the family consumes them.
How about a historically accurate horseman...wearing a school colors t shirt? :gig

Well, like Sleepy Hollow the original Washington Irving story (the movie is REALLY inaccurate, just like the TV show.)

I've thought about it, but the the thing is, it isn't ME who gives out the candy; it's my parents. If I had my druthers, I'd simply put all of the various candies and chocolates I tried experimented with over the year and rejected, and THAT would be the candy. I think it might be nice to give the kids something interesting and different (like the couple in our neighborhood who gave out British Chocolates when I was a kid.) But besides the logistics problem (most of the candies I try aren't individually professionally wrapped, which is a pre-requisite now,) my parents are concerned that anything out of the ordinary would get parents nervous and they'd just confiscate it. So it has to be common brands. And is also has to be what the KIDS will like, so we don't risk being egged or TP' d for substandard candy. So we're kind of stuck.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
How about donating extra candy bars to a local nursing home.
Can't tell ME that they don't eat it!

for sure, that is all my 95 yr. old MIL wants to eat! They are constantly handing out snacks. Playing Bingo, here is a snack, watching a movie here is a snack, The day does something like this... Breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, dessert. Of course, she eats very little at meals. But I am not there to make her eat the protein and veggies. A 2nd childhood for sure. ;)

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well, at least moving it still gives them a chance. The former principal of our high school (who was worried about thew fact that the students had gotten to the age where they were more interested in "tricks" than "treats") once tried to cut down mischief by pressuring the teachers to give a TON of extra homework on Halloween, so that the teens would be too busy doing it to go out.

Halloween is a sort of mixed bag for me. On one hand, living in Sleepy Hollow, Halloween is BIG business here, as one would expect, My parent's even informed me that, since I left, the high school actually hires someone to dress up as the Headless Horseman to lead the football team out onto the field for the first game of the season*) And it is fun trying to hunt down all of the pumpkins, and such for decorations.

On the other hand, Halloween DOES put me smack dab in the middle of a mountain of extra temptation, in the form of all of that extra candy in the house. Resisting taking any before the holiday is easy, but afterward, when you have that huge pile of leftovers just sitting there day after day, that get's a little harder (it doesn't help that now, with both mom and dad retired, neither of them can just take the leftovers to their office and get them out of my sight. Already, I have had to forbid them from bringing in any Reese's cups, as those are hardest to resist.

These last three years, there has also been the matter of Juniper. On one hand, having an actual living black cat for Halloween is good for making the house look more authentic. On the other hand, the amount of opening and closing of the door we need to do to respond to the trick or treaters means we have to keep an extra eye on him, lest he get out and get into trouble (there are a lot of nasty things that can happen to a black cat on Halloween.)

*Which has led me to re-introduce the idea of suggesting to the school board to re-dress the Headless Horseman in a proper Hessian Uniform (the red and white kind). Not only would it be more historically and story accurate (as well as making him more visible when they decide to have him ride through the manors at night), but red and white ARE the school colors.
Want the cure for Reese's cups temptation? Read the ingredients! Lol I had a weakness for those at one time. They are SUPER easy to make homemade @Pulsegleaner! If you ever want my mini cup recipe let me know.

Latest posts