Hardest weed to get rid off.

Ohwell

Sprout
Reaction score
I was just wondering what is the biggest battle anyone has ever fought with a weed. We are currently waging a battle with wild blackberries after years of letting them get of hand. Some of them have started climbing trees and they have reached the top of the thirty foot tree. I was pruning cutting and slashing and hacking and hawing yesterday for an hour and I didn't have on a long sleeve shirt and now my arms a nice red. So if you are willing to share those moments when you get so frustrated you just want to go and get a wrecking ball and show those weeds who's boss feel free to share.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
For me, it's poison ivy. Back behind house, was an old sand pit that had been excavated. When we bought the place nothing would grow so I let weeds take it to build up soil. After 20+ years, we're in process of trying to gain it back. Chemicals are cutting it back but getting rid of it is starting to be mission impossible.

nittygrittydirtdigger

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Tackweed, goat head, punctureweed....whatever you want to call it, the stuff is hideous! I've had my feet punctured right through my Keds by the seeds of that nightmare stuff. My poor dog routinely comes home limping, with a goathead in one of her paws. We can't even eradicate the stuff with our propane torch.

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have a problem in my garden with Common Plantain, Dandelions, Bindweed and Crabgrass. Yep, when you remove one weed its like 10 more appear :barnie.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
nittygrittydirtdigger said:
Tackweed, goat head, punctureweed.....
Yeah, I've heard it's nasty.

But, for me - it's bindweed, also. It takes repeat sprayings. Or, "sifting" the soil to get the roots out.

Never let it get past its 1st year!

If you leave it the least window of opportunity, bindweed will crawl thru or out from under mulch.

Steve

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
digitS' said:
Yeah, I've heard it's nasty.

But, for me - it's bindweed, also. It takes repeat sprayings. Or, "sifting" the soil to get the roots out.

Never let it get past its 1st year!

If you leave it the least window of opportunity, bindweed will crawl thru or out from under mulch.

Steve
The first time i had bindweed growing in my garden, i thought it was a flower didnt know it was a weed. The mistake was letting it go to seed, scattering the seeds everywhere.
Theirs a saying with weeds if you let them go to seed for just one year you'll have 7 years or more of grief. If only i would of removed the bindweed at first sight.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Spiny Amaranth...I've hoed and pulled faithfully for 3 years now. But even if you keep it mown short (it gets in the lawn too) or happen to break one off at the soil line, it will still make seed heads no matter what. It is less now in the garden, but still there! :/

lupinfarm

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Gigantic Thistles and Stinging Nettles + a few weird weeds I have no idea the name of lol

Thistles are the WORST here, they get stems of around 3"!!!! And last year some got to over 7ft!!

Latest posts