Hardy Kiwi Vine for those in cities and cold climates!

Would you grow a hardy wiki?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jasonvivier

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I've been very tempted also, @lesa. My SIL grew them. They had them on a fence and the neighbor didn't like them growing over into their yard. They found them a little hard to keep under control, but probably didn't have the right space for them. Two years out of ten they got fruit, but it was a very pretty vine!

Kolomikta is suppose to be the most hardy here, and taste more like the brown fuzzy kiwi.

I believe the ones at Food Forest Farms produce every year.

jasonvivier

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
What I like most about the photo is that it challenges, and very potently the idea of plant spacing. I'm all about asking questions when someone say's, "It has to be this way." I enjoy going out to the garden and testing that statement. By and large I have found that the "You have to's" are related to very specific conditions, but that the mantra has become an umbrella statement because of culture. Like those plants has to be 18 inches apart; what if one plant is on a mound and the other isn't? Maybe that rule doesn't apply. Or "you can't plant tomatoes next to onions" - "well have you tried it?" - "well no, why would I do that?" - "lol"

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I believe the ones at Food Forest Farms produce every year.
I don't know if the lack of fruit was due to frigid winters, excessive pruning, or fruit drop from lack of moisture... or if they had an idea, will have to talk more with her about that.

Interesting info that I did not know about different varieties ...

Some of the best varieties of A. kolomikta have Russian names, such as ‘Aromatnaya,’ named for its aromatic fruit; ‘Krupnopladnaya’ which has larger fruits than other varieties; and ‘Sentayabraskaya,’ which is particularly sweet. These and many others are available from mail-order and on-line sources.

Source: U of M - Hardy Kiwi

jasonvivier

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Okay here is the skinny from Food Forest Farms and Cornell.

They Fruit after year five, on a yearly basis - ripening around October - They will also ripen in the refrigerator if they would be winter killed in your region. It is possible for them to fruit earlier but that is generally not reliable production.

Latest posts