~ HAS THE WORLD GONE MAD...? New madness ?? ~

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
See Kate, me too! I was there when lunchables came out and I was told NO! (My sister too for that matter)

I went to catholic school, and I remember I would each humus pita's, artichokes with italian dressing, english muffins with honey at the bus stop. Carrot sticks, raisins, bananas and apples were almost everyday too!!!!

My daughter is only allowed 1 junk food snack a day (cookie, chips, fruit gummies) and then she gets carrots, celery, apples, pears.... maybe some toast with honey because we LOVE honey on everything. 2 Milks a day, 1 juice and lots of water!!!

I also feel bad because we quit, what was, the occasional McD's! Its not allowed anymore :( But that is for the better and we know it!

old fashioned

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Not only is it cheaper for the schools to provide processed foods, but also for the families struggling at home. The schools that offer the choice between healthy foods & processed, the kids will usually choose processed because that's what they are used to eating.
It's cheaper in the stores to buy pre-packaged processed foods to feed a family than it is to buy healthy whole foods and make it yourself.
Face it, $20 can buy more boxed throw together meals than it can fruits, veggies & meat. Now days alot of families have to rely on free lunch program at schools to help feed their kids, whether they like it or not. For some, school lunch is the only meal they get.

My kids are eligible for the free breakfast & lunch at school this year and I was kind of glad in the beginning for the $ relief. Previous years we weren't eligible and the kids always wanted the school lunch, but now they've been asking for homemade lunches more often. As a mom, I'm happy they are making the better choice but it really puts a strain on the food budget.
I do buy more healthy whole foods than processed, and make alot (85% or more) of our meals from scratch (not to mention a garden in summer) and that's mostly for supper meals. But when the kids were taking their lunches daily then I had to also buy extras to pack.
It was almost like a choice-either eat a healthy breakfast/lunch from home OR a healthy supper, but it's really tough to provide all meals.
Plus, I don't think most parents even know how to cook from scratch. I'm not trying to judge or condemn anyone here, it's just that alot of people I know think "from scratch" biscuits (among other things) is using a premade mix that only needs liquid added-which is still better than canned IMO.
And a word for the working parents, yep by the time ya get home who wants to cook (or is able to)

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Starting from raw food vs. processed food, the raw is alway much cheaper. The problem is you are comparing apples to oranges. Most processed foods do not have meat in them or very little vs. turkey meal, sure the processed food is cheaper. But simple mac/cheese from scratch is much cheaper than box if you are comparing at same level. From scratch, people would use expensive cheese while box is cheapest cheese that is dehydrated or a fat called some sort of cheese name.

This is the problem we face that once packed in the cute box, people don't recognize what they are eating and are OK w/that. So therefore, mac/cheese is mac/cheese or as the old commercial use to say...parts is parts.....uh......no, they aren't.

Schools are feeding the kids what they will eat. Want the schools to stop feeding junk? Stop the masses from feeding themselves and their kids junk. It starts at home, not in the schools or legislature.

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:hit + :)

More sad news! But there is a little hope in this article. It goes to help prove it is the new moves MUST BE bought into being by the parents if our children & grandchildren are to live long & healthy lives.........& out-live us...!! :bow.

http://www.chewswise.com/chews/2010...ail&utm_campaign=Feed:+ChewsWise+(Chews+Wise)

***The replies are interesting too!

*****Edited to add this article:
http://www.herald-dispatch.com/news...s-down-at-schools-with-healthier-Oliver-menus

At least we who garden, growing our vegetables & fruit, can do something to help, both in involving children in growing by giving them their own little plots as well as providing for our extended families & friends. I know a huge number of you already do that. We just have to encourage & support more would-be beginners in our addiction to decent food.
Tough love is what is needed -- good luck everyone. :love

Hattie

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
This is the problem we face that once packed in the cute box, people don't recognize what they are eating and are OK w/that. So therefore, mac/cheese is mac/cheese or as the old commercial use to say...parts is parts.....uh......no, they aren't.
Yup

Schools are feeding the kids what they will eat. Want the schools to stop feeding junk? Stop the masses from feeding themselves and their kids junk. It starts at home, not in the schools or legislature.
It does start at home, but schools are used as a conduit for highly processed, gvmnt subsidized grains. I have problems with what people feed their kids, but I have more problems with tax payer money funding garbage.

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
One thing that cracks me up... PIZZA keeps being called a junk food. Other than the crust, pizza is not bad at all. Put some fresh veggie toppings on it or add some veggies in the sauce and make it a thin crust, it is practically a health food!

hikerchick

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
wifezilla said:
One thing that cracks me up... PIZZA keeps being called a junk food. Other than the crust, pizza is not bad at all. Put some fresh veggie toppings on it or add some veggies in the sauce and make it a thin crust, it is practically a health food!
we eat homemade pizza with broccoli and tomatoes at least once a week.

with a thin thin thin crust

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
yum!

I like onions, mushrooms, spinach and chicken with a white sauce. For crust, I use a fritata kind of thing. It's mainly egg and zucchini with cheese baked in to a big flat round.

Latest posts