Have chicken ~ do you agree with this ```

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I agree....folks can watch people being butchered on TV and movies, but quail at the sight of a chicken being butchered? The height of irony there. Especially as they eat their dinner of chicken.

It all comes down to control...controlling what we can and cannot have, can and cannot grow, can and cannot kill to eat. I'm four square against the government controlling how I get my food.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I agree....folks can watch people being butchered on TV and movies, but quail at the sight of a chicken being butchered? The height of irony there. Especially as they eat their dinner of chicken.

It all comes down to control...controlling what we can and cannot have, can and cannot grow, can and cannot kill to eat. I'm four square against the government controlling how I get my food.

what happens is that the more laws the more you get of what is called "selective enforcement" i.e. the unpopular people get picked on depending upon which people complain and which officers show up to deal with it. buncha BS all around.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have the 6 hens limit and no roosters. Coops also have to be 20' away from neighbor's house. I think these regulations are good. But I don't understand the no slaughter rule. If you are discreat and slaughter in garage, private backyard, or kitchen, you should be allowed to do so.

Here in my community I think people are very responsible with their chickens. There is much information on the internet that folks can access and I think they do.

I also don't agree that keeping such few chickens is a waste of time. Certainly you will not recoup your cost but not everything can be measured in dollars.

Mary

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
In the OP, the wording was such that people were "seeking to have more control over their food supply", which was why I posted, in that regard, they are not going to achieve that with a handful of chickens in a tiny coop...especially chickens they cannot even kill and eat. Even if they could, it would have to be a repeated pen of meat chickens for them to "have more control over their food supply", as 3-6 hens are not going to feed many people at the end of the day.

They could better achieve more food independence by raising meat rabbits in that same space, if that were indeed the goal. I don't think that is truly the goal, as if it were, it's highly impractical.

Now, if a person just wants to have a pet that makes them breakfast for awhile, that's another thing entirely...that's not truly "seeking to have more control over their food supply", that's just a personal want. People don't care about how much money they spend on their personal wants, so the food supply part of the post is moot.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
We have the 6 hens limit and no roosters. Coops also have to be 20' away from neighbor's house. I think these regulations are good. But I don't understand the no slaughter rule. If you are discreat and slaughter in garage, private backyard, or kitchen, you should be allowed to do so.

Here in my community I think people are very responsible with their chickens. There is much information on the internet that folks can access and I think they do.

I also don't agree that keeping such few chickens is a waste of time. Certainly you will not recoup your cost but not everything can be measured in dollars.

Mary
TOO TRUE!! Some days all of your hens will lay, and with 6 hens you can still get a dozen eggs/week. Easter is coming up and we chicken owners are hoarding.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
TOO TRUE!! Some days all of your hens will lay, and with 6 hens you can still get a dozen eggs/week. Easter is coming up and we chicken owners are hoarding.
Spring has sprung for my hens. I gave light to one coup and not for the other because I had plenty of eggs. I gave my lavender orpington the winter off. Now I do not even want to go out there to get my eggs. yes complaining about too many eggs. Plenty of family around to spread the wealth.

Latest posts