Heat Mats for starting seeds indoors

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's a great chart Journey. I've kept a few days-to-germination charts but yours is really easy to read. I see spinach only takes 626 days to germinate at 32*!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
thistlebloom, that is so clever!! Everybody has those stupid "fairy lights" from Christmas, and most of us get tired of the white ones.
HunkieDorie23, I like the chili idea!! Actually, you gave me a thought--maybe I should start my warm weather seeds on a piece of wood on top of my radiators. (I have hot water, boiler-type, heating in my house, and big, old radiators.)
Nyboy said:
I womder if that would stop the chickens water from freezing?
I bought my birds a heated, dog waterer. Unlike my mouthy horses who would attack a metal cord with a death wish, my chickens don't peck at the coiled plug, and it's fun to put ice in it bc it melts.
I get the BEST gardening answers, here! Thanks, everybody!!! lots of :hugs

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
ducks4you said:
thistlebloom, that is so clever!! Everybody has those stupid "fairy lights" from Christmas, and most of us get tired of the white ones.
HunkieDorie23, I like the chili idea!! Actually, you gave me a thought--maybe I should start my warm weather seeds on a piece of wood on top of my radiators. (I have hot water, boiler-type, heating in my house, and big, old radiators.)
Nyboy said:
I womder if that would stop the chickens water from freezing?
I bought my birds a heated, dog waterer. Unlike my mouthy horses who would attack a metal cord with a death wish, my chickens don't peck at the coiled plug, and it's fun to put ice in it bc it melts.
I get the BEST gardening answers, here! Thanks, everybody!!! lots of :hugs
That's what I use for my chickens in the winter too. I set a gallon plastic jug of water down into it (like you get cranberry juice or hawaiian punch in). I drill two ~1/4" holes in the jug--one on one side and another opposite it, both about an inch up. As they drink the water down, it lets out a little more.

Those old radiators should work really well for you, Ducks. Good idea!

I know, Thistle, isn't 62.6 a weird number? Not sure why they stuck that .6 on there. :p

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, there are some things that take 2 years to sprout, some even longer I suppose.

HotPepperQueen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I buy my heat mats from Amazon. I just got a big one that can fit four seed flats on it for $40. Still more than what I wanted to spend but it's cheaper than raising the thermostat in my house! I also have two small ones I bought after season last year for $12 a piece. I think i'll be set for awhile...hopefully

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
marshallsmyth said:
Oh, there are some things that take 2 years to sprout, some even longer I suppose.
Some of the native chaparal plants here in California won't germinate till after a fire. I used to wrap Tecate cyprus seeds loosely in a sheet of newspaper and set it afire to get them started.