Heat Wave!!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
They kept issuing thunderstorm warnings all afternoon and not a drop of rain here. However, when I checked on BYC in the NC thread... it apparently hit ALL around us. "That was mean mother nature... what did I ever do to you?"

cityfarmer

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
desertlady said:
cityfarmer said:
Same here in Colorado. In the Springs we hit an all time ever record high of 101 on Tuesday since records have been kept. Last week we had over 95 degree temps several days. Last Friday, Saturday, Sunday it hit 100 degrees (for the 4th, 5th, and 6th times ever in recorded history) and Monday was a cool 98. The next 7 days show temps in the low to mid 90's which is a much more typical heat wave for us. We are approximately 5 inches below normal for precipitation for the year and last year we only received 19% of normal precipitation. Monsoon moisture is trying to work its way in, but the chances in the next seven days are slim with the thunderstorms we get being dry thunderstorms. While we don't have the humidity to make the feel like index go up, our low humidity is terrible for the fires. In May, I saw more grasshoppers in my yard than I have ever seen. Luckily, they went to greener pastures I think. I absolutely dread my next utility bill. Because of the high temps, we have been watering daily sometimes twice. Due to the high temps, our AC (thankful that we have one because many people in the city don't because it generally cools off at night) has been running full time and with all the smoke in the air we aren't opening windows to gain the cool night air. I actually think I would welcome a hail storm right now. :/ The poor chickens are panting especially our girl who believes anything above 40 degrees is hot. We have tried frozen water in milk jugs and they run away. We have been watering down the dirt in the shady areas in the run with ice water to help them cool down. They refuse to lay in it. I guess they will just take care of themselves. They do like "frozen" fruit in the afternoons and are getting plenty of fresh cool water.
I used cat litter box ( cheap flat ones) as a swimming pool for my chickies ! They love to soak their feet in that box !
I'll have to remember that for the future.

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
SUPPOSEDLY it's going to cool down to the 80s after this weekend. Hopefully everyone suffering gets a break from the heat!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here it comes for us!!

The mercury in the thermometer may reach 100F, Sunday! Starting tomorrow, there are NO forecast highs ahead, lower than 90.

The Kootenai River, running between northwestern Montana and into Canada, is still above flood stage where it crosses Idaho. About 1 hour drive west of here in Davenport, it was 32 Wednesday. A cool 43 here that morning . . . Near record lows all over the place but now, that will turn around.

Steve
shocked.gif

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, am I reading it right? You're going from a cool Wednesday morning to 100! just in a matter of days? Yikes!

Mary

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's it, Mary!

This sort of thing often happens here. There is some kind of storm usually followed by a lot of wind. Then, the air calms, clears and the stars come out overnight.

The temperature plummets! Next, the sun rises and it gets warmer, warmer, warmer! The thermometer should be within 1 to 3 degrees of 100 on Sunday, Monday & Tuesday.

I'll try this again. This is Stanley, Idaho. It is several hundred miles from here and several thousand feet higher in elevation:

Stanley.gif

If it works right, that sticker should change when there's an update from Stanley. The weather has warmed there. It was 24F on the morning of the 4th. The afternoon of the 4th, it was 79. We will only see about 35 temperature swings over the next few days - Stanley has picked up some cloud cover & the chance of thunderstorms. I can't really think of a place with greater contrast from the San Francisco Bay Area ;).

For all of you under oppressive heat, maybe looking at Stanley's overnight lows will help you sleep better.

Steve

Latest posts