Hello 2013 !

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Peppers and How I May Get in Trouble in the Future

DSC00614_zpse5503a33.jpg

But, I'm not worried about them.

The Big Early bells are emerging later than the little hot peppers. That should make no difference. The Big Early seedlings are already far enuf along that I can see 6. As recently as 48 hours ago, there were no plants in this box.

Where might I get in trouble? The Big Early is a large plant and will grow quickly. Competing for light, they may interfere with the little guys next door. However, the closest are Super Chili and those are quite a bit larger than the tiny Thai Hots. Still, I will soon have to be sure that The Big Early plants are on the north side, just as tho' I've got them pushed up against each other in the garden. Rotating the box daily is not my technique, anyway. It might help for awhile with stretching seedlings but you can tie the things in knots!! Then, just try to get them out for transplanting in larger containers :rolleyes:.

37 eggplants, still no Rolecks . . . I'll only know the time by the title of this thread: Hello 2013!

Steve ;)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am coming to the end of my eggplant efforts - I know . . . you didn't think I'd evah
1lg035faint.gif

There are 45 seedlings in that cookie box and no long green eggplants of the Asian persuasion. It is the price I should have to pay, putting tomato seed into the same box with the eggplants - and having to rush the tomatoes out into the open with those late-to-the-party eggplants still slumbering :/.

It is said that we learn from our mistakes. I'm not sure how much . . . but, I have learned inadvertently that this window sill is awfully cool for anything I'm trying to push for germination. I've also learned that warm water bottles seem to have a benefit. I've never used a heating mat for germination. I could have made this mistake so much easier to "fix" with a mat - I think. I hope others learn from the trouble I've gone to with changing these dang bottles 4 times a day, with limited success.

I have learned from my successes. One successful technique is to use the cookie boxes. I've been doing that for about 20 years. Before that, the baker just handed me a cookie over the counter while I held onto Mom! Just kidding ;).

Anyway, I've eaten a lot of cookies over the last 20 years :). The boxes are sometimes a little too big but I see that there are much smaller ones available. You know, I've bought cookie boxes. I've stood and looked pathetic until they gave me brand-spanking new boxes for 25 & 30 cents each. (I would have been delighted to have the old ones complete with cookies beyond their pull-date but they wouldn't offer me those :(.)

Anyway, if you think that using the boxes is weird, take a look at these containers sold to labs for the germinating of seed: (click) To my unsophisticated eyes, some of those look a lot like cookie boxes!

With 5 or 6 holes punched in the bottom, filled with a good soil mix, soaked and drained for a few hours, sprinkled with seed, covered with soil, closed, and set in a warm location -- they work! Don't cover them and sit them in the sun. And, don't forget to look at them at least, once a day! Seed often turn quickly into a tall, skinny seedlings. Getting them UNCOVERED and out into some sunlight is very important. The lid, then becomes a handy tray under the box. You can even put water in it to bottom-water your seedlings. Something, I'm doing this morning :).

Part of my problem was using seed that was a little less than fresh. I have never done it but here is something that can be done with old seed: Tomato Genetics Resource Center, UCDavis (click) Soaking in 2.7% sodium hypochlorite (half-strength standard household bleach) for 30 minutes. You will also see that the researchers also reference running the seed thru a Galapagos tortoise!! Which they described as "effective, but cumbersome, nasty, and otherwise too inconvenient for general use" :lol:.

I think I will continue to try using fresh seed. And, keep seed better separated!

Steve

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey Steve, I was wondering if a regular old drug store heating pad would work as a 'heat mat' for germination? On low, with a folded towel between, it shouldn't get too hot?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
My guess is that it would be fine.

Maybe just try it with a thermometer so as to keep it at some reasonable number. 120 hot water from the sink is going to be too hot for people as well as too hot for plants.

It has been very revealing to have finally put a thermometer here in the south window. It shows how the room temperature dissipates the heat from the sun. I mean, this room is over 20' deep and yet, only about 12sqft has any sunlight. I don't want the plants to be 85 but it might help to have the seeds that warm . . . and, whatever the case, getting quick germination in the low 60's won't be happening with the warm-season plants like eggplants & peppers. Bad enuf that the top of the fridge is only 70.

Steve

BTW - the peppers in the other tomato box are now doing fine. there are 18 keystone bells coming up! i only had 20 seeds in that packet, it said. fresh seed.

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So steve, when potting up time comes, do you bare root? I use seeding flats which keeps them all seperated, but I can imagine what potting up must be for you. How about a little description of the process?

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cane,

A regular heating pad for people use on a bed or chair really should not be used because it is not designed be be able to get wet.

If you do use it, please take too many precautions.

try not to get any water on it

make sure you plug it into a very good and tested gfci type outlet, the kind with the extra buttons between outlet plugs.

make sure you are dry

make sure you are wearing rubber soled shoes

Every time you are near it while germinating seeds on it.

first time you even think you feel electricity near or on it, know exactly the circuit breakers to turn off.

Latest posts