Hello 2013 !

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'll make a thread for yours and Ava's cantaloupes Jack!

Want to keep track of those sweet n early melons progress!!!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
They have a little of a jump on my tiny seedlings, Jack. Are they a mix of things? I couldn't quite read those labels over your shoulder while you were writing them ;).

It was a sunny day here! Unpredicted but just what the seedlings needed. Unfortunately, DW had an appointment just about the perfect time to be doing anything around here.

Perfect conditions and easy opportunities caught me behind the 8 ball! (The story of my life :p.)

Steve

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, they are a mix, dahlias, calendulas, and two variety of tomato. I have not started the cucumbers, but I am thinking of growing telegraph improved in the greenhouse. The problem with that variety is the leaves get about two feet across in the greenhouse.

I have no idea of how big the melon plants will be so we will just have to wing it with those.

Jack B

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Melon vines can grow long and tender in a greenhouse, not sure about your variety though. They are easier to transplant with 2 people doing it. On e person to hold the vine, the other to hold the rootball without letting the roots much get disturbed.

I made a thread just for your melons JackB. :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here come the t'maters!

DSC00608_zps16d41dfe.jpg

Furthest and cookie box to the left -- joining the snaps and peppers. The furthest box of tomato seedlings was out yesterday because of the Sungold seedlings. Then, I put them back on top the fridge overnight. Jump!!! Plants are like children, they grow overnight! Probably should be ready to do something about light with those babies in that warm and relative dark location about every 8 hours.

Steve :)

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
19.gif

YEAH!!! Baby 'maters!!!

I THINK that I saw a tiny bit of something just starting to peek this morning. Hoping to see tomato sprouts when I get home. :fl

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm in trouble
DSC00609_zps0bbed145.jpg

Well, the eggplant may be. This is what can happen when you've got multiple varieties of seed in one container. I mixed the species :/, even! Okay, shoot me!

Yeah, I came across that wonderful golden Earl of Edgecombe seed after I'd filled 2 other cookie boxes with tomato seed. So :rolleyes:, I put it in with the eggplant. Not to be limited to ONE stupid act, Ginny's Pantano Romanesco seed came the other day (thank you Ginny & USPS!); I put it in with some bell pepper seed . . :rolleyes:

My DD's cute little pink computer table has been replaced by my old, little wood table, here in the south window. In the past, I've laid a 6' piece of 4' wide plywood on that to hold starts but was using an 8' light above them for all that depth from the window. I don't want to set up the light but will be taking some of the starts out to the greenhouse during the sunniest parts of the day. See what you dayworkers can look forward to with retirement ;)?!

The peppers made a trip out y'day. These eggplant (seed) & Earl might be going out. It depends on how warm it is. However, I'm going to have to push Earl and his cohorts right into whatever warm sunshine comes thru today. Tonight, he's going back on the top of the fridge to stay warm. I'm not sure how I'm going to arrrange a cover. I may have to just stretch some Saran wrap over the Applegreen, Dusky, Rocks, Shoya, & Kurume eggplants. I'll have to take a special interest in them and their water/warmth needs or someone should shoot me!

Steve

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, at least you didn't plant it all then drop the flat and decide to sprout it all in 3 shallow flats all nice n mixed up...

:hide

that never happened to me, but some years ago i woke up sweating that was a nightmare! something about camelia and rosemary...

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm trying something new with the eggplant seed this morning.

The sun isn't cooperating very well and probably won't be for the next few days. Storm clouds and getting very windy . . . I was going to use a hot water bottle under the eggplant.

"Where is the hot water bottle?" "I think it is at Dear Daughter's." :/

Imagine - borrowing a hot water bottle! I bet she would be embarrassed to go in and buy something as old-fashioned as a hot water bottle. I would consider putting the heating pad under the eggplant box but not only am I a little apprehensive about doing that, it is probably at DD's too!

Okay, I filled 2 plastic bottles with water that I would be comfortable washing my hands with. Put a thermometer on top of them and it read 90F. The University of Minnesota has eggplant seed germinating in 5 days at soil temperature of 86. The seed has already been in there for 9 days - I've got 1 seedling!

I can do this: Warm water under the box twice a day, it won't cool below room temperature, anyway . . .

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I may be coming outta the woods on these eggplants.

This morning, I see 4 more sprouts joining the 1 Dusky -- 2 Dusky and 2 AppleGreen! At least, I know that I'll have some for Eggplant Parmesan this year (I hope) :).

What hasn't shown yet are the Shoya. Sho(w)ya is about the easiest Asian long purple that I've grown. Now, if it will just come up!

The other Japanese purple, Kurume, I won't miss if it fails. The seed is old but I had quite a bit of it. Shoya tops it in my garden and it seems to be important for an eggplant to have a little easier time of it during the growing season or the fruit becomes bitter. I've learned that during bean beetle onslaughts! Make life easier for your eggplant and the fruit will be nice and sweet. Probably true with everything.

The Roleks green would be nice to have come thru. Kitazawa calls it a "Thai long green" but what separates it from a Japanese green, I don't know. It may just be seed origin. The only thing I have "against" the Roleks is the name. I can't help feeling that someone is trying to sell me a counterfeit Rolex watch. It's better than that! It should rate, at least, as an Omega ;)!

Speaking of eggplant "brands:" Peto Seed has apparently changed the name of "Dusky" to "Epic." Jung Seed has that information in their catalog. I grew Pingtung from Known-you Seed last year. Did well but "Known-you" . . ? Millionaire is kind of the classic but, of course, there's a "Classic" :rolleyes:.

Highfalutin, is what my mother would have said about all of this naming stuff :cool:. I mean, eggplant is nearly as bad as zucchini. Who they trying to kid with zucchini named "Diplomat," "Ambassador," & "Elite" . ? I'm just hoping I can Shoya my AppleGreen here this summer!

Steve
silly ain't i?

Latest posts