Hello from Atlanta

April VanMansfeld

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hi Ninny,

Per Gurney's, I'm in zone 8. There are deer in our suburbs, but not in the city. I do, however, have to contend with racoons, opossums, mice, rats, various snakes, lizards, frogs, rabbits, feral cats and our mated hawk and owl pairs.

April VanMansfeld

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Lol!!!!! Nope. They don't. I was listing the other animals that have access to my gardens since deer aren't an issue. I'm actually trying to coax more lizards and frogs to the yard for the added pest control.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I consider non-poisonous snakes, hawks, and owls on the list that help with pest control, specifically mice, rats, and rabbits. I'll admit a non-poisonous snake can get your heart beating pretty fast if it surprises you but I like having them around for all the vermin they eat, including bugs. Not sure I'd want anything around that would eat the deer though. That might get a little too personal.

April VanMansfeld

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I consider non-poisonous snakes, hawks, and owls on the list that help with pest control, specifically mice, rats, and rabbits. I'll admit a non-poisonous snake can get your heart beating pretty fast if it surprises you but I like having them around for all the vermin they eat, including bugs. Not sure I'd want anything around that would eat the deer though. That might get a little too personal.

I wish I could choose which snakes get to hunt my yard/garden. I'v mostly come across smaller non venomous snakes while doing yard work, however there are about 5 that can be found in metro Atlanta, and my neighborhood is perfect for all of them. On a brighter note, that makes for a great motivator to keep the yard up!!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Texas! Don't mind @seedcorn he sits there in his frozen wasteland, giving us Southerners a hard time because we can get ripe tomatoes before he can even plant a tomato. BWA-HA-HA-HA So please feel free to post pictures of your lovely garden and tag seedcorn so he "admire" your garden. :lol::lol:

Glad to have you here, if you don't mind, please put your location on your avatar. We will never remember the title of your post, it helps if you ask for advice or help if we know your climate/location.

April VanMansfeld

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Ahhh.. This high of 25* today does not feel like a normal GA winter. Glad for it to cull the pest bugs, but being cold with the heat on makes me doubly glad this is a rarity and will be over in 2 months tops!! @seedcorn can eat his hat when I get a 2nd harvest from my spring garden!!

Thanks for the heads up regarding my location and the avatar.

Latest posts