Hello from GA and Paw Paw's old tractor

Cnstory78

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I just have to say that I have always been afraid of tractors and the whole PTO thing but...today, I drove my Paw's old tractor, we finally got it running (like a sewing machine all day:)) and as scared as I have always been today I bush hogged!! I cried for just one run because I miss him so very much but then who cries while driving such a wonderful machine? It reminded me of the huge gardens we had when I was just a child and I really want to learn more. I found you through backyard chickens and thought this may be appropriate for my new adventures. Thanks in advance for any help.

Crystal

Attachments

• 20210502_165653.jpg
    20210502_165653.jpg
    449.5 KB · Views: 184

Cnstory78

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Actually I am. I am on the GA/AL line. Live in AL but most of my land is about 30 minutes away in GA. Are you in the same zone?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
welcome to TEG from mid-Michigan.

i certainly understand your hesitance about running a powerful machine and from what i see there are a lot of people who get injured by not respecting that power.

please do some searching on line for safety help/tips.

the biggest thing i can think about is making sure to not have any loose clothes, ropes or belts that might get caught, but also each thing that gets attached will have it's own requirements and needs. take it slow. look at what you're doing and the surrounding area too. don't get off and think it might stay put without chocking the wheels. hills and ditches can be a hazard for rollovers, etc. mud, soft soils, plenty of challenges.

don't drink (alcohol) and drive and keep hydrated on hot days.

Cnstory78

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Welcome from Louisiana, glad you joined.

That wagon in the photo brings back memories, Dad had a horse drawn wagon like that when I was growing up.
I absolutely love it! This one has been around as long as I can remember. I recently bought this carport specifically for the wagon when I sold some property where it was stored in the old barn, but the tractor goes well also!

Cnstory78

Leafing Out
Reaction score
welcome to TEG from mid-Michigan.

i certainly understand your hesitance about running a powerful machine and from what i see there are a lot of people who get injured by not respecting that power.

please do some searching on line for safety help/tips.

the biggest thing i can think about is making sure to not have any loose clothes, ropes or belts that might get caught, but also each thing that gets attached will have it's own requirements and needs. take it slow. look at what you're doing and the surrounding area too. don't get off and think it might stay put without chocking the wheels. hills and ditches can be a hazard for rollovers, etc. mud, soft soils, plenty of challenges.

don't drink (alcohol) and drive and keep hydrated on hot days.
Thanks so much. My grandfather I think said all these things and more and I have truly been frightened of to a fault for 40 years. With the patience of my boyfriend and his attention to detail, he has helped me overcome my fears. I did enjoy it and reminisced happily but have decided to do much more research and likely never do it alone. Thanks for the tips. I should have taken a picture of our hardwork but I am sure you know that a picture just doesn't do it justice.

Latest posts