Hello from Kentucky!

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
sSig_welcome3.gif
from Virginia!
I can't wait to hear all about your garden adventures. It's funny, there are a BUNCH of is doing the same things as you are planning - but no two of us are doing them exactly the same way. Looking forward to hearing more from ya.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome, Jess! :frow Tomatoes are easy seeds to save too. Good luck in your 2014 garden. We're happy to help if you have any questions. :)

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm going to plant my first "big" garden this year. I've grown tomatoes for several years and always had good luck so I'm going to try a little bit of everything this year and see what grows best. Me and my husband are going to try to make a small green house soon out of cattle panels. Also planning on doing composting, learning to can, planting lots of fruit trees, along with getting chickens, ducks, and guineas. I'd also like to eventually get into seed saving.

:welcome Welcome, Jess172! :welcome
We are happy to have you growing with us here at TEG. If you were to ask for advice (you didn't, but I'm a butt-in-ski) I would suggest don't start too big. A garden is not grown in one year, but over time through work and experimenting and improving your soil.

If you have already had some gardening success with tomatoes then you are ready for a bigger garden. Enjoy the learning experience and realize the first few years usually do have more weeds. :barnie Don't get frustrated, just keep doing what you can. Veggies are pretty forgiving of new gardeners' mistakes. If not, none of us would be gardening as we all had to learn.

I am excited for you. :weeeYou are biting off a huge chunk of self-reliance for your family. Don't take everything on at one time, but know that you CAN do it. How much land do you have to work with? Canning, freezing, and dehydrating all are good ways to enjoy the fruits of your labor. Canning may have the scariest reputation, but follow directions and you will find it no more difficult than any other method of preserving.:hugs

:thumbsupWe will be here to cheer you on, answer questions, share gardening tips, and befriend you through your big adventure. Welcome aboard!:thumbsup

Jess172

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I
Hi Jess, Welcome from your neighbor in SE Missouri. What part of KY are you in? (West, East, etc)
I'm in western Kentucky. Although I'm much closer to Indiana than Missouri. So no mountains where I'm at. But I do live on the side of a pretty big hill :)

Jess172

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
:welcome Welcome, Jess172! :welcome
We are happy to have you growing with us here at TEG. If you were to ask for advice (you didn't, but I'm a butt-in-ski) I would suggest don't start too big. A garden is not grown in one year, but over time through work and experimenting and improving your soil.

If you have already had some gardening success with tomatoes then you are ready for a bigger garden. Enjoy the learning experience and realize the first few years usually do have more weeds. :barnie Don't get frustrated, just keep doing what you can. Veggies are pretty forgiving of new gardeners' mistakes. If not, none of us would be gardening as we all had to learn.

I am excited for you. :weeeYou are biting off a huge chunk of self-reliance for your family. Don't take everything on at one time, but know that you CAN do it. How much land do you have to work with? Canning, freezing, and dehydrating all are good ways to enjoy the fruits of your labor. Canning may have the scariest reputation, but follow directions and you will find it no more difficult than any other method of preserving.:hugs

:thumbsupWe will be here to cheer you on, answer questions, share gardening tips, and befriend you through your big adventure. Welcome aboard!:thumbsup

Well I own a little over 3 acres. Mostly hillside though. There is around 1/3 an acre of flat land that we are going to try to make into our garden. We might not even use that much land yet, but still this is going to be a big garden compared to me growing my tomatoes out of a small flower bed where we used to live. Oh, and my dehydrator! I hadn't thought to use that. Probably because for years mine has been dedicated solely for making deer jerky! I'm looking forward to see what I can grow and I'm sure I'll have lost of questions along the way.

Latest posts