Hello From Maine

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Welcome! If you need us, we are here... and some people find us informative! LOL

Anyways... I've lived up your way once. I stayed in North Conway NH for a summer. I also visit now and again... I have learned I am not a fan of the north between October and April. Brrrrrrrrrr :lol:

stano40

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My list of veggies and greens that I am planning on are:

Seeds:

Beet greens, beets, carrots, onions, parsnips, rutabagas, turnips, swiss chard, kohlrabi, sugar snap peas, a gourmet greens blend, & bush beans

Tomato's (I'll pick up plants & plant them in the front of the house like I did last year so they won't crowd the garden area), sunflower's, & cauliflower.

Corn, sugar baby watermelons, pumpkin, sapomiel melons, cantaloupe.

and to add for a pasture hairy vetch, white clovers, buffalo grass including a pasture mix seed or just fescue grass.

Of course if I can't get my rototiller running I'm in a little trouble.

My garden plan to feed my family, goats, chickens, ducks, geese.

bob

damummis

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Be careful getting your tomato plants. Blight was real bad last year and they blame it on the Big Box stores that got their plants from infected growers. I think Bonny plants were the ones that were infected. I grow my own and I even got it from neighbors who get their plants from Lowe's. Blight is spread on the wind.

This year I am starting a whole new area just for my nightshade crops. Tomatoes, potatoes, eggplant.................
And I am planting short season crops too.

I was so mad last year. I had over 100 tomato plants, all different kind and lost most of them. The cherry tomatoes did OK because they were fast ripening.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, Bob I can see you are not going to start small!!! Is your family going to help with all this work??

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yep... I bought 1 bonnie plant and all the rest i started at home, i got the blight like everyone else. remember.... mulch mulch mulch!!!

stano40

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
lesa said:
Well, Bob I can see you are not going to start small!!! Is your family going to help with all this work??
That part is yet to be experienced. I'm hoping once I get my rototiller working and the area tilled they will get in the mood to help out. My wife works midnights but does get 3 days off, so I'm sure she will help out.

I've got an extremely old troy-bilt tomahawk & is one tough monkey to start. I bought a new battery, spark plug, quick start and carb cleaner.

The challenge has begun, who will win???

I'm also worried about buying tomato plants from Walmart again. I've only had one really good year out of three using their tomato plants. This year I've decided to get them from a small local nursery.

bob

Latest posts