Votes: 0 0.0%
  • strawberries

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Pippomky, I was wondering why you plant on mounds?

When I lived in a hot dry climate I planted in ditches, and then mulched once the plants were up. That kept the water at the roots and the mulch slowed evaporation.

I noticed my neighbor from Illinois planted everything on mounds her first gardening year here. She had a heck of a time keeping everything watered well enough to keep it growing. She was used to planting in a slow draining soil and having a lot of summer rain.

pippomky75

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Pippomky, I was wondering why you plant on mounds?

When I lived in a hot dry climate I planted in ditches, and then mulched once the plants were up. That kept the water at the roots and the mulch slowed evaporation.

I noticed my neighbor from Illinois planted everything on mounds her first gardening year here. She had a heck of a time keeping everything watered well enough to keep it growing. She was used to planting in a slow draining soil and having a lot of summer rain.

I found it easier for weed control, it prevents rabbit traffic by making an obstructed view when they run, and we ran irrigation lines down each mounded row so I don't snag them with my foot.

Latest posts