Votes: 0 0.0%
  • strawberries

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

pippomky75

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I am a transplant from New England, and against all odds I am turning my little patch of desert into a pretty nice little farm! I am starting a small fruit orchard, and growing 50% of our veggies. We just finished a greenhouse, so I have a lot to learn about growing in there. I have the hardest time with cucumbers, tomatoes, beans, and peppers, but have the Midas touch with eggplants, Brussels, root crops, and asparagus.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
welcome to the forums here. :)

for us, lettuce, we aren't usually very happy with the results. mostly to do with the fact that we don't do much cooler weather planting and i don't have a cold frame to protect against frosts.

the animals sometimes do the harvesting first. i would like to grow more leafy greens, but would need a better fence to do it.

because i'm not much into struggling i've found other things which grow here that i do like to eat and often the animals will ignore them enough. chards, dill, turnips, peas and radish sprouts all work ok for me.

i have several thousand strawberry plants in various places. production isn't always reliable between weather and deer grazing, but i usually can get something from them. the patch inside the fenced veggie gardens is more reliable, but not as big as i'd like.

i always appreciate the challenges of growing things in an arid climate. i'm glad i don't live in one.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
p.s. if you ever want to see what someone can do in even the worst conditions i have these three links to ponder...

the first is an abandoned project but the outlines are still there and i'm interested to see how the remnants continue to go.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/29°35'50.5"N+35°36'09.8"E/@29.5945872,35.6041599,2369m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x0?hl=en

the second is a project ongoing in another location by the same person who did the first and i've enjoyed watching the changes through the years:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/3...m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d31.8719722!4d35.6315?hl=en

and the third is of a project in Haiti:

which isn't arid, but needs much the same treatements because of the lack of topsoil...:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/S...d2cfd39b!8m2!3d18.0476847!4d-71.7623359?hl=en

pippomky75

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
When it gets windy and things get blown away~we say : "It's on it's way to Fallon"

Hwy 50 s 4 lanes now~half way through Stagecoach```

Welcome to Cowboy Country~ and here on the form as well~ if I can be of any help```

Richard
Well thanks! And when things blow our way give me a heads up, we'll see if we can catch it for you!;)

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome from north Idaho! :frow

Probably watermelons are my trickiest, at least the most elusive. It's difficult to get them to a ripe old age. Pumpkins can also be tough, you have to start them early, but not too early and hope for a late first frost.
There are others that require more growing days or warmer nights, but I have stopped experimenting for the most part.

Latest posts